Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Neil Aggarwal <ne...@JAMMConsulting.com> on 2001/12/07 20:18:32 UTC

Session tracking across virtual hosts?

Hello:

I am developing a web application that requires session tracking.

Because we are using a virtual host with a shared SSL certificate,
we need to track sessions using two different hosts.  For example,
we need to use URLs like:

http://www.virtdomain.com/appName/page.jsp
and
https://www.JAMMConsulting.com/appName/page.jsp

Session tracking does not work across this scenario since the
domains are different.

Is there a way around this?  I tried calling response.encodeURL()
on the URLs to the shared domain, but this did not help.

If I could force the URL to contain the session ID, then I think
I would have a solution.

Any suggestions on how to do that?

I am using Tomcat 3.2.3 behind Apache.

Thanks,
	Neil.

--
Neil Aggarwal
JAMM Consulting, Inc.    (972) 612-6056, http://www.JAMMConsulting.com

Is it possible ...

Posted by louie miranda <lo...@chikka.com>.
to BOTH RUN Apache-JServ and TOMCAT in one apache webserver?

ty

Re: is it possible to make tomcat as an apache module?

Posted by louie miranda <lo...@chikka.com>.
Hi, ty for the help martin..

right now, my apache has a module of mod_jserv,
and the only thing that i want to make is add tomcat
as a module for apache.

HEAD

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2001 04:27:57 GMT
Server: Apache/1.3.22 (Unix) ApacheJServ/1.1.2
Last-Modified: Fri, 04 May 2001 00:00:38 GMT
ETag: "36acb-5b0-3af1f126"
Accept-Ranges: bytes

i did install tomcat, i get the binary file and the source,
but i couldn't figure it out, how to add tomcat as a module
for apache and not as a standalone server.

thank you.. pls help!!!

louie

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ma...@isallineed.org>.
I could find this in the online cvs tree of java-jserv :

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/~checkout~/java-jserv/docs/install/howto.unix_
install.html?rev=1.9&content-type=text/html

(clicking the link should give you an html file containing info about how to
build everything..)

Mvgr,
Martin

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ma...@isallineed.org>.

Posted by louie miranda <lo...@chikka.com>.
mod_jserv / solaris sparc

Posted by Brian Adams <bi...@satx.rr.com>.
which module jk, webapp ...?
what platform?

Posted by louie miranda <lo...@chikka.com>.

RE: Session tracking across virtual hosts?

Posted by Neil Aggarwal <ne...@JAMMConsulting.com>.
Craig:

Does the alias directive work in tomcat 3.2.3?

Here is what I put in my server.xml file:
        <Host name="dev.jammconsulting.com">
          <Alias>dev.leads-unlimited.com</Alias>
          <Context path="/sessionTest" docBase="webapps2/sessionTest" />
        </Host>

You can try it by visiting
http://dev.JAMMConsulting.com/sessionTest/index.jsp

But, when I try visiting
http://dev.leads-unlimited.com/sessionTest/index.jsp
I get an error.

Thanks,
	Neil.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Neil Aggarwal wrote:

> Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 21:14:47 -0600
> From: Neil Aggarwal <ne...@JAMMConsulting.com>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: RE: Session tracking across virtual hosts?
>
> Craig:
>
> It is the same webapp, not two different ones.  We just
> need to access it in two different ways, depending
> on if we are using http or https.
>
> There has to be a way to do this since it is the SAME
> application.

Try the <Alias> element inside a <Host> element.  That declares the second
host name to be an alias of the "real" one, and shares the same pool of
webapps underneath.

> Thanks,
> 	Neil.

Craig