Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Dermot Paikkos <de...@sciencephoto.com> on 2002/03/01 18:42:19 UTC

statINC or startINC ??

Hi
	System info: Slackware linux 8.0 (2.2.19),
	Apache/1.3.20 (Unix) Embperl/1.3.4 mod_perl/1.26

I'm a completely newbie and have a problem with your installation. I
think my problems are mainly to do with environment variables,
specifically @INC. The error log has the following:

 Undefined subroutine &Apache::startINC::handler called.

I have a statINC at not a startINC. So I modified the httpd.conf
accordingly. However I still get:

  Undefined subroutine &Apache::statINC::handler called.

As I don't know how to manually change @INC, I have added the
paths to the PERL5LIB env variable (in my .cshrc) but this does not
take effect till I log in. So the server does not start unless I am
logged in and start it manually as it can not find statINC.pm. Even
then http requests generate the above error.

So I guess I need to know how to make the PERL5LIB variable
available to Apache from its first initialisation (would that be the
startup.pl or the UID of the httpd process?). I also need to make sure
that this is variable persists.

I hope that makes sense.
Thanx.
Dp.
PS: Should my static site still work after installing mod_perl? it
doesn't.
~~
Dermot Paikkos * dermot@sciencephoto.com
Network Administrator @ Science Photo Library
Phone: 0207 432 1100 * Fax: 0207 286 8668

Re: statINC or startINC ??

Posted by "Brett W. McCoy" <bm...@chapelperilous.net>.
On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Dermot Paikkos wrote:

> So I guess I need to know how to make the PERL5LIB variable
> available to Apache from its first initialisation (would that be the
> startup.pl or the UID of the httpd process?). I also need to make sure
> that this is variable persists.

PerlSetVar PERL5LIB <path>

should accomplish this.

You can also do

use lib '<path>';

in your scripts to have them search the correct path to modules that
aren't in @INC.  I also use Apache::Reload.  See the appropriate
documentation (it talks about using Apache::Reload as a drop-in for
StatINC).

-- Brett
                                          http://www.chapelperilous.net/
My mother wants grandchildren, so I said, "Mom, go for it!"
		-- Sue Murphy