Posted to users@maven.apache.org by tiagorg <ti...@yahoo.com.br> on 2010/11/16 16:46:09 UTC

Is this possible in Maven dependencies downloads to resume a download which stopped?

For example, our project has a dependency JAR of 360 MB and sometimes our VPN
expires and then the download stalls.

I would like to resume it from the moment it stopped, as we take hours to
download this file everyday.

It there a way to have such a "download manager" feature which will enable
maven to resume downloads, just that.

I am newbie so please understand.

Thanks

Re: Is this possible in Maven dependencies downloads to resume a download which stopped?

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 16/11/2010 10:46 AM, tiagorg wrote:
> For example, our project has a dependency JAR of 360 MB and sometimes our VPN
> expires and then the download stalls.
>
> I would like to resume it from the moment it stopped, as we take hours to
> download this file everyday.
>
> It there a way to have such a "download manager" feature which will enable
> maven to resume downloads, just that.
>
> I am newbie so please understand.
>
> Thanks

Break down the jar into more functionally related units.
A set of smaller jars will be more stable and easier to work on.

Where are you downloading from?
Perhaps you need a repo that is closer to your development team.

Ron

Re: Is this possible in Maven dependencies downloads to resume a download which stopped?

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@justinedelson.com>.
On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 10:46 AM, tiagorg
<ti...@yahoo.com.br> wrote:
> It there a way to have such a "download manager" feature which will enable
> maven to resume downloads, just that.

You can do this if you write your own Wagon implementation.

Re: Is this possible in Maven dependencies downloads to resume a download which stopped?

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.
> It there a way to have such a "download manager" feature which will enable
> maven to resume downloads, just that.

Not currently. This seems like an absurdly huge file to be downloading
over a slow VPN connection on a daily basis. Either way find a way to
download it via some process that can be resumed, or even better, find
a way to break it up into multiple smaller chunks that change less
often.

Surely the entire file does not change on a daily basis but rather
only small bits of it, right?

Wayne