Posted to dev@myriad.apache.org by Will Ochandarena <wo...@maprtech.com> on 2015/07/31 01:42:34 UTC

Introducing Ruth - documentation

Myriad Team, I want to introduce you to Ruth Harris from the MapR
documentation team.  She'll be leading the lead on documentation for
Myriad, hopefully with ample help from each of you.

She's been digging into Myriad for a few weeks now, and has a preliminary
outline.  I'll let her reply to this and send it to start getting feedback.

One thing she needs is a place to start posting to.  Looking at other
Apache projects, it seems like the most common practice is to use a
gh-pages branch of the main github
<https://github.com/apache/incubator-myriad>.

Adam - could you create the branch so she has something to send PRs to?
Jim - you seem to be our resident web/css expert.  Any chance you could
build a simple layout for the doc site?

Thanks!
Will

Re: Introducing Ruth - documentation

Posted by Adam Bordelon <ad...@mesosphere.io>.
Thanks for the link. While I personally prefer ReviewBoard's feature-set
(multi-line select, tracking patch issues) for larger code changes, github
PRs are nice for reviewing (generated) markdown, and fine for
documentation/small changes. But, yeah, well, that's just like, my opinion,
man.

Posted by Jim Scott <js...@maprtech.com>.

Posted by Jim Klucar <kl...@gmail.com>.
Adam,

Posted by Adam Bordelon <ad...@mesosphere.io>.

Fwd: Introducing Ruth - documentation

Posted by Ruth Harris <rh...@maprtech.com>.
Hi Luciano, Adam, Danese, and Team,

(Resending...)

Thank you everyone for welcoming me. I'm ready to roll up my sleeves and
get to work.

   1. I've sent an email to start the process re: an ICLA
   2. I've also created an Apache Wiki account and can access the Myriad
   Wiki, but when I checked today, I didn't have Edit or Create page
   permissions.
   3. *Could the space administrator please grant me permissions?*
   4. I've also done some basic editing on the .markdown files from GitHub
   Phase 1. (I have copies on my local system.) *If there are no objections*,
   I'll convert the .md files to confluence and put the cleaned up versions in
   the wiki.
   5. The following is an initial outline for Myriad Open Source. Please
   review and provide feedback: I.E. Too many topics, wrong type of topics,
   missing topics, etc.

An initial draft is targeted August 17th (< 2 weeks) *unless* you all think
it is too aggressive. Obviously, I'll need help with the topics:

Major Topics

   -

   Description (aka: what it is)
   -

   Use Cases (aka: why and how it is used)
   -

   Architecture (aka: how it works)
   -

      RMs (ResourceManager) and NM (NodeManager) in Mesos Containers
      -

      NodeManager Profiles
      -

      Fine-grained Scaling
      -

      High Availability (HA)
      -

   Installation
   -

      Pre-installation and prerequisites
      -

      Installation (generic)
      -

      Post-installation and configuration
      -

   Administration (aka: how to use it)
   -

      Launching Myriad
      -

      Scaling (Flex up/down on nodes, see REST API)
      -

      Running YARN apps
      -

      Stopping
      - Configuring

      - Monitoring

   - REST API
   -

         PUT /api/cluster/flexup
         -

         PUT /api/cluster/flexdown
         -

         GET /api/state

         GET /api/config

--
Ruth Harris
Sr. Technical Writer, MapR

--
Ruth Harris
Sr. Technical Writer, MapR

Re: Introducing Ruth - documentation

Posted by Ruth Harris <rh...@maprtech.com>.

--
Ruth Harris
Sr. Technical Writer, MapR

Re: Introducing Ruth - documentation

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adam Bordelon <ad...@mesosphere.io>.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 4:54 PM, Danese Cooper <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ruth.
>
> Can I (as mentor) request that we go through the formalism of asking Ruth
> to submit contributor PRs that an existing committer reviews and merges for
> awhile before we hold a vote about granting her committership? It's the
> Apache Way to treat everybody the same after the initial bootstrapping is
> done.

I second Danese's request.

Re: Introducing Ruth - documentation

Posted by Danese Cooper <da...@gmail.com>.