Posted to modules-dev@httpd.apache.org by Tom Roth <to...@yahoo.com> on 2013/04/15 01:36:29 UTC

Looking for suggestions: email clients

My web app needs to service email clients as well as browsers.  Since the only messages
I expect to process are small (SMS) and machine generated I'm looking for solutions
short of installing a smtpd server and connecting it via scripts to the Apache server.

At first glance I thought I could scavenge the protocol handler from mod_smtpd but it's
apparently not well maintained and the source isn't where it was purported to be.  Is
there an smtp protocol module you would recommend?  Any cleaner solutions than the
"brute-force" approach outlined above?  Hey, thanks in advance!  ;-)
  - Tom

Re: Looking for suggestions: email clients

Posted by Joe Lewis <jo...@joe-lewis.com>.
On Apr 14, 2013, at 5:36 PM, Tom Roth <to...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> My web app needs to service email clients as well as browsers.  Since the only messages
> I expect to process are small (SMS) and machine generated I'm looking for solutions
> short of installing a smtpd server and connecting it via scripts to the Apache server.
>
> At first glance I thought I could scavenge the protocol handler from mod_smtpd but it's
> apparently not well maintained and the source isn't where it was purported to be.  Is
> there an smtp protocol module you would recommend?  Any cleaner solutions than the
> "brute-force" approach outlined above?  Hey, thanks in advance!  ;-)
>   - Tom

Tom;

I'm unaware of any up-to-date SMTP modules for Apache.  That's not saying it cannot be done, but I think most people using SMTP will set up a separate SMTP server (e.g. Postfix or Exim).  You'd get more mileage out of a separate software service than you would reinventing the wheel.  I do not know of any open-source SMS service handler that doesn't require an SMS service gateway or cellular service of some sort, so you may not find what you are looking for in that regard.  Hope you find what you are looking for!

Joe