Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Alex <my...@gmail.com> on 2017/09/05 00:11:56 UTC

pyzor config and sig15

Hi,

I'm curious about the options people use for configuring pyzor with
SA? I've always just had it with --homedir /etc/mail/spamassassin but
I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I've also noticed it
always exits with SIGTERM. It appears to be working properly with
PYZOR_CHECK hits, but I'm not using any of the other options like
--accounts-file. Is there anything else I should be doing?

I also notice it consumes the vast majority of time required to
process each message.

Sep  4 00:19:42 mail01 amavis[16471]: (16471-04) SA info: pyzor:
[17294] error: TERMINATED, signal 15 (000f)
Sep  4 19:53:07 mail01 amavis[24392]: (24392-07) TIMING-SA total 4937
ms - parse: 4.4 (0.1%), extract_message_metadata: 40 (0.8%),
get_uri_detail_list: 0.82 (0.0%), tests_pri_-1000: 32 (0.7%),
tests_pri_-950: 0.57 (0.0%), tests_pri_-900: 3.7 (0.1%),
tests_pri_-400: 251 (5.1%), check_bayes: 239 (4.8%), b_tie_ro: 87
(1.8%), b_tokenize: 4.4 (0.1%), b_tok_get_all: 42 (0.9%), b_comp_prob:
1.22 (0.0%), b_tok_touch_all: 41 (0.8%), b_finish: 18 (0.4%),
tests_pri_-100: 1.06 (0.0%), tests_pri_0: 4561 (92.4%), check_spf: 7
(0.1%), poll_dns_idle: 0.40 (0.0%), check_dcc: 235 (4.8%),
check_razor2: 114 (2.3%), check_pyzor: 4003 (81.1%), tests_pri_500: 20
(0.4%), tests_pri_1000: 1.16 (0.0%), get_report: 0.78 (0.0%)

This is the latest version of pyzor from svn, but the one included
with fedora25 also produced the same SIGTERM.

Re: pyzor config and sig15

Posted by Alex <my...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Wed, Sep 6, 2017 at 10:38 AM, RW <rw...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Sep 2017 19:36:05 -0400
> Alex wrote:
>
>> Hi,

>> > 4003 ms is suspiciously close to 4s. I'm wondering if Timeout.pm
>> > actually supports fractions of a second.
>>
>> I'm noticing the values are either 4003 or very close to that
>> throughout at least the last 48 hours. Perhaps the reason it's
>> SIGTERMd is because it's hit some timeout limit while it retries?
>
> As I already said SA has its own timeout that terminates the pyzor
> process i.e. sends it a SIGTERM.
>
> The point about its being 4 seconds is that it's supposed to be 3.5, so
> it looks like it's being rounded. Looking at Timeout.pm it says that
> it based on alarm(2), so generally SA timeouts wont support
> fractions of a second.

Yes, thanks. Looks like pyzor is back online too.

# pyzor ping
public.pyzor.org:24441  (200, 'OK')

Re: pyzor config and sig15

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.

Re: pyzor config and sig15

Posted by Alex <my...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

>> > This is because the public server went offline today, thus the
>> > client waits until the default timeout which I think is 5 seconds.
>> > You can configure the timeout to something less.
>>
>> 5 seconds is pyzor's  own default timeout (which you can change
>> via pyzor_options), but SA's default is to terminate it after 3.5
>> seconds (pyzor_timeout).
>
> On Mon, 4 Sep 2017 20:11:56 -0400
> Alex wrote:
>
>> check_pyzor: 4003 (81.1%)
>
> 4003 ms is suspiciously close to 4s. I'm wondering if Timeout.pm
> actually supports fractions of a second.

I'm noticing the values are either 4003 or very close to that
throughout at least the last 48 hours. Perhaps the reason it's
SIGTERMd is because it's hit some timeout limit while it retries?

Is the pyzor network currently down?

# echo "" | pyzor check
public.pyzor.org:24441  (500, 'Internal Server Error: Database
temporarily unavailable.')

# telnet public.pyzor.org 24441
Trying 5.9.124.53...
telnet: connect to address 5.9.124.53: Connection refused
Trying 2a01:4f8:162:742e::2...
telnet: connect to address 2a01:4f8:162:742e::2: Network is unreachable

Re: pyzor config and sig15

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, 5 Sep 2017 17:56:01 +0100
RW wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Sep 2017 19:01:55 -0700
> Ian Zimmerman wrote:
>

> > This is because the public server went offline today, thus the
> > client waits until the default timeout which I think is 5 seconds.
> > You can configure the timeout to something less.
>
> 5 seconds is pyzor's  own default timeout (which you can change
> via pyzor_options), but SA's default is to terminate it after 3.5
> seconds (pyzor_timeout).

Re: pyzor config and sig15

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.

Re: pyzor config and sig15

Posted by Ian Zimmerman <it...@very.loosely.org>.
On 2017-09-04 20:11, Alex wrote:

> I'm curious about the options people use for configuring pyzor with
> SA? I've always just had it with --homedir /etc/mail/spamassassin but
> I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

pyzor works fine without any configuration, or with an empty
configuration, as long as you only use the default public server.
And in fact I don't know if there are any other publicly available
servers - that is a question for others on the list.

> I've also noticed it always exits with SIGTERM. It appears to be
> working properly with PYZOR_CHECK hits, but I'm not using any of the
> other options like --accounts-file. Is there anything else I should be
> doing?
>
> I also notice it consumes the vast majority of time required to
> process each message.

This is because the public server went offline today, thus the client
waits until the default timeout which I think is 5 seconds.  You can
configure the timeout to something less.

Do obvious transformation on domain to reply privately _only_ on Usenet.