Posted to user@bigtop.apache.org by Steven Núñez <st...@illation.com> on 2013/11/20 11:45:08 UTC

Getting Started Guide? (and some installation issues)

Greetings Gents,

I’ve been attempting to install an Hadoop environment via BigTop today, version 0.70, but have run into a few issues. A few questions that will help (not only myself, but other starters):

  *   Is there a ‘getting started’ guide? Something that will describe the filesystem and configuration file conventions? In particular the existence of these conf.empty directories is confusing. Where are the configuration files supposed to go?
  *   Is a bigtop install supposed to work ‘out of the box’, or is additional configuration required? If so, what is that additional configuration?
  *   Hue seems to be quite unhappy when started out of the box, the QuickStart Wizard reporting several misconfigurations (well, potential misconfigurations). Is Hue supposed to be configured separately, or is BigTop supposed to do that?
  *   What is the target time to set-up a Hadoop installation via BigTop? I.e. Is there a target, say, that a newbie to Hadoop should be able to use yum (I’m on CentOS 6.4) and be completely up and running in an hour? Half a day? 2 days?

I can see that Ivaylo is a bit ahead of me in the installation process. Ivaylo, I can’t see your email address or I’d send you a note directly. If you don’t mind, please contact me and we can work through some of these issues together.

Regards,
- SteveN