Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Ugo Cei <u....@cbim.it> on 2002/11/04 09:05:31 UTC

OXF (was Re: cocoon and related projects based on cocoon ...)

Matthew Langham wrote:
> 2.) http://www.orbeon.com/oxf/
>     i found this pointer today in the struts discussion trail. I did not
>     really investigate on this although it sounds quite interesting
>     but again i thought this belongs strongly to cocoon, if it is
> feasible...
> <<
>
> Again something completely different. A solution built on Cocoon - but it is
> NOT Cocoon. In the same way we develop commercial products on top of
> Cocoon - but they are not part of the Cocoon project. Anything that is
> donated to the Cocoon project (such as our authentication components)
> increases the code base and that does (or may) become part of the project.

It surely looks based on Cocoon as far as some architectural concepts
are concerned. It does not look based on the Cocoon source code though.
Or, at least, they don't say it is ;-).

"How does OXF compare with Apache Cocoon?
  OXF's XML processors, XML pipelines and XPL were born recently from the
  need in the industry for solid and flexible XML processing
  technologies. On the other hand, Cocoon was initially designed as a Web
  publishing framework and has been around for a much longer time.

  As a result, some features provided by Cocoon are still unmatched in
  OXF, which however provides a more advanced technological foundation
  and can be used in a wider range of XML-based applications including
  Web publishing, interactive Web applications, command line
  applications, Web services, etc."

Yeah, nice marketing speak ;-).

--
Ugo Cei - http://www.beblogging.com/blog/

Re: OXF (was Re: cocoon and related projects based on cocoon ...)

Posted by Erik Bruchez <er...@bruchez.org>.
Ugo Cei wrote:
 > It surely looks based on Cocoon as far as some architectural
 > concepts are concerned. It does not look based on the Cocoon source
 > code though.  Or, at least, they don't say it is ;-).

True: OXF doesn't use a single line of code from Cocoon (as a matter
of fact we haven't even looked at the Cocoon source code). If you care
to try OXF, you will notice that we have worked hard to address lots
of issues that Cocoon has. In particular our XML pipelines are very
different from Cocoon's (we think that they are very cool, BTW ;-),
and error handling is much more user-friendly.

Whether you like our commercial approach or not, our white paper on
XML pipelines should be of interest to Cocoon'ers, and obviously comes
with no strings attached. In that document we describe our concept of
XML pipelines and present XPL, an XML Pipeline Definition Language. We
hope to release more information about XPL in the future:

   http://www.orbeon.com/oxf/whitepaper

-Erik