Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jan Normann Nielsen <li...@dubbekarl.dk> on 2004/10/13 14:26:42 UTC

Hook for enforcing lower case in file names

Hi

I have a small Subversion repository for my own webserver contents.
Since I'm testing my website from Windows and am hosting that and the
Subversion repository from Linux, non-lower-cased file names on the
website will eventually get me into trouble.

Therefore I want a hook script for my Subversion repository that won't
let me commit files that are not all lower-case. Has anyone got a clue
on how to do that?

Best regards,
Jan Nielsen

Re: Hook for enforcing lower case in file names

Posted by Martin Tomes <li...@tomes.org>.
Nathan Kidd wrote:
> Jan Normann Nielsen wrote:
>
>> Therefore I want a hook script for my Subversion repository that won't
>> let me commit files that are not all lower-case. Has anyone got a clue
>> on how to do that?
>

> Perhaps
> http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/contrib/hook-scripts/check-case-insensitive.pl
>
> is more suited to your needs, rather than just forcing lower case?

I think not.  The problem he is trying to avoid is the exact opposite of the normal Windows case
insensitive file system problem.  The classic problem with web sites created in windows is ending up
with the case of the link url not being the same as the file it references.  On Windows the site
will work, upload it to Linux and it breaks.  By standardising on all lower case for file names and
URL's this problem can be solved.

--
Martin Tomes
echo 'martin at tomes x org x uk'\

The Subversion Wiki is at http://www.subversionary.org/

Re: Hook for enforcing lower case in file names

Posted by Nathan Kidd <na...@hummingbird.com>.
Jan Normann Nielsen wrote:
> Therefore I want a hook script for my Subversion repository that won't
> let me commit files that are not all lower-case. Has anyone got a clue
> on how to do that?

Perhaps
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/contrib/hook-scripts/check-case-insensitive.pl
is more suited to your needs, rather than just forcing lower case?

-Nathan

Re: Hook for enforcing lower case in file names

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.
> Hi
>
> I have a small Subversion repository for my own webserver contents.
> Since I'm testing my website from Windows and am hosting that and the
> Subversion repository from Linux, non-lower-cased file names on the
> website will eventually get me into trouble.
>
> Therefore I want a hook script for my Subversion repository that won't
> let me commit files that are not all lower-case. Has anyone got a clue
> on how to do that?

There is something which might interest you in the Subversion repository
here:
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/contrib/hook-scripts/check-case-insensitive.pl

hth,

Erik.

--
+++ GMX DSL Premiumtarife 3 Monate gratis* + WLAN-Router 0,- EUR* +++
Clevere DSL-Nutzer wechseln jetzt zu GMX: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

Re: Hook for enforcing lower case in file names

Posted by Martin Tomes <li...@tomes.org>.
Jan Normann Nielsen wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a small Subversion repository for my own webserver contents.
> Since I'm testing my website from Windows and am hosting that and the
> Subversion repository from Linux, non-lower-cased file names on the
> website will eventually get me into trouble.
>
> Therefore I want a hook script for my Subversion repository that won't
> let me commit files that are not all lower-case. Has anyone got a clue
> on how to do that?

Take a look at:

contrib\hook-scripts\check-case-insensitive.pl

It rejects a commit if there is a case insensitive file name clash.  You are interested in the bit
down to line 158 at which point you have a list of all the files being added.  At that point you
would look for any with uppercase characters and reject the commit if you find any.