Posted to ivy-dev@incubator.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2007/09/15 13:07:56 UTC

What about Graduation?

Hi all,

a few months ago Xavier had a list of things to do pre-graduation.

Is there anything that I as one of your mentors can do to encourage
you?

Cheers

        Stefan

Re: What about Graduation?

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 9/17/07, Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

The graduation guide for subproject graduation recommend something like
this:
1. community vote, in which the community can agree both on being ready for
graduation and on the destination
2. vote in the destination TLP PMC (in our case Ant PMC)
3. vote in the incubator general list to approve the sign off of the podling

IMHO 3 votes is enough :-)

Xavier

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://incubator.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

Re: What about Graduation?

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 9/17/07, Scheper, Erik-Berndt <er...@sogeti.nl> wrote:

> The proposed voting order seems ok to me.
>
> Please note that I didn't say that the 2.0 final release should be done
> as an incubator project; I was just wondering what's customary.

That's fine, we appreciate your participation in the community.

Notwithstanding my previous post, I would love to see ivy graduated as
> an ant subproject. I use it (almost) every day...

Thanks, satisfied users is the best reward for the time spent on the
project!

Xavier

Erik-Berndt

RE: What about Graduation?

> > Before starting a vote thread, wouldn't it be better to clear some
> > outstanding issues: -Is it still intended to graduate as an ant
> > subproject? (I seem to remember that I read this some time ago)
>

> We agreed on graduating as an Ant subproject a few months ago:
> http://www.nabble.com/Destination-upon-graduation-%28was-Re%3A-Steps-
> toward-graduation%29-tf3882862.html#a11004970

You are right, we were all agreeing on that.  But that should be
formalized with a vote.  Isn't it?

Also, a vote the ant-dev mailing list will be required.

But I'm not sure in which order we should make those votes...  I propose

1. Vote here on destination after graduation
2. Ask for a vote on the ant-dev mailing list (if vote 1. result is as
expected)
3. Fire the vote here to decide if we are ready to graduate (if the
result of vote 2. is as expected, and depending on the outcomes of this
discussion) 4. If ok, ask the vote on the incubator list.

> -Wouldn't it be better to wait until an incubating release (better
> than
> > alpha-2) is complete? The beta-1 release has been delayed for some
> > time now
>

> I personnally don't think so. Graduation is not about code quality or
> release quality. We have demonstrated we are able to make releases.
> Being late on a release is a problem we frequently encounter in an
> open source project. Committers sometime have less time than expected
> to work on a release, but I don't think it's too much a problem, the
> community is still there, answering questions, and developing the
> upcoming version. And I would really prefer to make the 2.0 final
> version as a graduated project.

I have the same understanding.

Gilles

Disclaimer:
This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of Sogeti Nederland B.V. or its Group members. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.

RE: What about Graduation?

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.

Re: What about Graduation?

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 9/17/07, Scheper, Erik-Berndt <er...@sogeti.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Before starting a vote thread, wouldn't it be better to clear some
> outstanding issues:
> -Is it still intended to graduate as an ant subproject? (I seem to
> remember that I read this some time ago)

We agreed on graduating as an Ant subproject a few months ago:
http://www.nabble.com/Destination-upon-graduation-%28was-Re%3A-Steps-toward-graduation%29-tf3882862.html#a11004970

As far as I'm concerned, I still think this is the best option for Ivy. But
I invite anybody who would like to discuss this further to talk freely in
this thread.

-What are the requirements for graduation as (sub)project?

The graduation guide has a good explanation about that:
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html

When we discussed about the steps toward graduation last june, the only
remaining point was checking the project name:
http://www.nabble.com/Steps-toward-graduation-%28was-Re%3A-Report-this-month%29-tf3882513.html#a11054911

So I think we are ready to start a graduation vote. But if you want to
discuss that, I'm open to discussion, I don't know the graduation process
very well.

-Wouldn't it be better to wait until an incubating release (better than
> alpha-2) is complete? The beta-1 release has been delayed for some time
> now

I personnally don't think so. Graduation is not about code quality or
release quality. We have demonstrated we are able to make releases. Being
late on a release is a problem we frequently encounter in an open source
project. Committers sometime have less time than expected to work on a
release, but I don't think it's too much a problem, the community is still
there, answering questions, and developing the upcoming version. And I would
really prefer to make the 2.0 final version as a graduated project.

I've been following the cxf incubating project (merge of xfire and
> celtix), and they're mostly concerned about diversity (see
> http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-Graduating.....-p12042463.html).
> -How about diversity in the ivy project. I feel inclined that it's
> greater than in cxf (mostly iona people), but is it enough?

We are 3 committers, all from different employers. It's the minimum
required... it's not great, and I would like to have a more diverse and
bigger committer community, but I think it's enough to graduate, and
graduation will help to gather more people. The votes (or the discussion)
may tell the opposite though. Do somebody think diversity is a problem?

Xavier

Anyone else?

Re: What about Graduation?

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Xavier Hanin wrote:
> On 9/19/07, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:

> I've just checked in a FileProvider interface for resources, and have
>> (uncommitted) changes to a lot of the resource enabled tasks to use
>> FileProviders instead of requiring file system resources to be instances
>> of FileResource. What that could do is let
>> Ivy add a new resource that refers to an an artifact, which could then
>> be used inline
>>
>> <copy todir="build/app/WEB-INF/lib" >
>>         <ivy:artifact org="org.apache.tomcat" artifact="tomcat"
>> version="${tomcat.version}" />
>> </copy>
>>
>> We could even have an ivy:artifacts collection, that dynamically
>> represents a specific configuration from the ivy conf
>>
>> <copy todir="build/app/WEB-INF/lib" >
>>         <ivy:artifacts conf="webapp" />
>> </copy>
>

> Would this require to call resolve before? Or would it be roughly equivalent
> to what a resolve do?

up to you :)

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/

Re: What about Graduation?

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 9/19/07, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:

> Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>

> > Also, we've seen a few Ant committers being involved with bug reports
> > and discussions here.  Who knows, maybe graduating to Ant will make
> > those bonds even stronger and we'll end up with a few Ant committers
> > becoming Ivy committers as well.
> >
> > Stefan
>
> Oh, I'd like to get involved,

Great!

I'm just overwhelmed with umpteen other
> things.
>
> What I'd really like to do is add tighter support for Ivy inside Ant too.

This would be very nice indeed.

I've just checked in a FileProvider interface for resources, and have
> (uncommitted) changes to a lot of the resource enabled tasks to use
> FileProviders instead of requiring file system resources to be instances
> of FileResource. What that could do is let
> Ivy add a new resource that refers to an an artifact, which could then
> be used inline
>
> <copy todir="build/app/WEB-INF/lib" >
>         <ivy:artifact org="org.apache.tomcat" artifact="tomcat"
> version="${tomcat.version}" />
> </copy>
>
> We could even have an ivy:artifacts collection, that dynamically
> represents a specific configuration from the ivy conf
>
> <copy todir="build/app/WEB-INF/lib" >
>         <ivy:artifacts conf="webapp" />
> </copy>

Would this require to call resolve before? Or would it be roughly equivalent
to what a resolve do?

Xavier

This is for the 1.8 release; its something we need to get stable before
> freezing it in shipping code. One thing I'm thinking I'd like is some
> notion of a lifecycle for datatypes, so we can tell resources when they
> are created, and when they are no longer required.

-steve

Re: What about Graduation?

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> Also, we've seen a few Ant committers being involved with bug reports
> and discussions here.  Who knows, maybe graduating to Ant will make
> those bonds even stronger and we'll end up with a few Ant committers
> becoming Ivy committers as well.
>
> Stefan

Oh, I'd like to get involved, I'm just overwhelmed with umpteen other

Author: Ant in Action           http://antbook.org/

Re: What about Graduation?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 17 Sep 2007, Erik-Berndt Scheper
<er...@sogeti.nl> wrote:

> Before starting a vote thread, wouldn't it be better to clear some
> outstanding issues:
>
> -Is it still intended to graduate as an ant subproject? (I seem to
> remember that I read this some time ago)

It really is up to the Ivy developer community.  Graduating as an Ant
subproject doesn't preclude going TLP sometime later.

As a mentor and Ant PMC member I'd love to welcome Ivy to Ant and I'm
willing to start the vote in Ant land as soon as Ivy feels like it.

> -What are the requirements for graduation as (sub)project?

Xavier already pointed to the graduation page.

> -Wouldn't it be better to wait until an incubating release (better
> than alpha-2) is complete?

It's the community that's graduating, not the code. 8-)

> I've been following the cxf incubating project (merge of xfire and
> celtix), and they're mostly concerned about diversity (see
> http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-Graduating.....-p12042463.html).
> -How about diversity in the ivy project. I feel inclined that it's
> greater than in cxf (mostly iona people), but is it enough?

Not a problem here.  I'm rather a bit concerned about the number of
committers than their diversity.  Three is the lower limit.  But then
again I've seen how quickly Gilles was absorbed, so I have no doubt
that the community will grow.

RE: What about Graduation?

Re: What about Graduation?

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.

Re: What about Graduation?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: What about Graduation?

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Stefan,

I was about to start this discussion again, to see where we are. Last time
we discussed the subject it seemed that the only point to solve was checking
the project name for trademarks. According to my investigation, Ivy is not a
trademark in software, and it doesn't seem to be a problem to use Ivy from
what I've collected on legal-discuss@a.o among other information. But IANAL,
so I can't be sure my investigation is enough. So, do you think we can
consider this point cleared? If so, do you see something else we still need
to address to graduate?

Xavier