Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de> on 2010/02/26 09:17:23 UTC

ANNOUNCE: Release of Lucene Java 3.0.1 and 2.9.2

Hello Lucene users,

On behalf of the Lucene development community I would like to announce the release of Lucene Java versions 3.0.1 and 2.9.2:

Both releases fix bugs in the previous versions:

- 2.9.2 is a bugfix release for the Lucene Java 2.x series, based on Java 1.4
- 3.0.1 has the same bug fix level but is for the Lucene Java 3.x series, based on Java 5.

New users of Lucene are advised to use version 3.0.1 for new developments, because it has a clean, type-safe API.

Important improvements in these releases include:

- An increased maximum number of unique terms in each index segment.
- Fixed experimental CustomScoreQuery to respect per-segment search. This introduced an API change!
- Important fixes to IndexWriter: a commit() thread-safety issue, lost document deletes in near real-time indexing.
- Bugfixes for Contrib's Analyzers package.
- Restoration of some public methods that were lost during deprecation removal.
- The new Attribute-based TokenStream API now works correctly with different class loaders.

Both releases are fully compatible with the corresponding previous versions. We strongly recommend upgrading to 2.9.2 if you are using 2.9.1 or 2.9.0; and to 3.0.1 if you are using 3.0.0.

See core changes at
http://lucene.apache.org/java/3_0_1/changes/Changes.html
http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_9_2/changes/Changes.html

and contrib changes at
http://lucene.apache.org/java/3_0_1/changes/Contrib-Changes.html
http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_9_2/changes/Contrib-Changes.html

Binary and source distributions are available at
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/lucene/java/

Lucene artifacts are also available in the Maven2 repository at
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/lucene/

-----
Uwe Schindler
uschindler@apache.org
Apache Lucene Java Committer
Bremen, Germany
http://lucene.apache.org/java/docs/

Re: ANNOUNCE: Release of Lucene Java 3.0.1 and 2.9.2

Posted by Marcelo Ochoa <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Uwe:
  Many thanks for the explanation.
  Best regards, Marcelo.

Posted by Uwe Schindler <us...@pangaea.de>.

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.

Posted by Marcelo Ochoa <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Uwe:

Posted by Ian Lea <ia...@gmail.com>.
Could there be a Version value called
LUCENE_LATEST_DANGER_USE_AT_YOUR_OWN_RISK or whatever you want to make
it.

I understand the argument about backwards compatibility but I'm with
Johannes on making things easier for those who have code which doesn't
require the compatibility.  Like me.  I've been using lucene since the
very beginning and don't recall ever having been bitten by any back
compatibility problems (another reason for praise for the committers)
and would rather not have to start changing literals on upgrades.

Is the plan to remove LUCENE_CURRENT altogether or to leave it in,
permanently deprecated?
If the latter we could carry on using it although living with
deprecations isn't great.

Doing simple things in lucene does in general seem to be getting
harder.  Off the top of my head ...

 IndexSearcher s = new IndexSearcher("/my/index");
 QueryParser qp = new QueryParser("", new StandardAnalyzer());
 Query q = qp.parse("field: value");
 Hits h = s.search(q);
 for (int i = 0; i < h.length; i++) {
     System.out.println(h.doc(i).get("field"));
 }

used to work.  It won't now of course, and I'd have to look at the
javadocs to come up with alternatives.

Keep APIs simple!

--
Ian.

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

Posted by Johannes Zillmann <jz...@googlemail.com>.
Just one thought...

Posted by Paul Taylor <pa...@fastmail.fm>.

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 5:12 AM, Paul Taylor <pa...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Uwe Schindler wrote:
>
>> Hello Lucene users,
>>
>> On behalf of the Lucene development community I would like to announce the
>> release of Lucene Java versions 3.0.1 and 2.9.2:
>>
>> Both releases fix bugs in the previous versions:
>>
>> - 2.9.2 is a bugfix release for the Lucene Java 2.x series, based on Java
>> 1.4 - 3.0.1 has the same bug fix level but is for the Lucene Java 3.x
>> series, based on Java 5.
>>
> Hmm , I don't really agree with deprecating Version.LUCENE_CURRENT (
> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-2080)
>
> I'm sure in many projects, especially ones that are not yet released
> developers would expect to pick up the latest features when they download
> the latest version of Lucene without having to update the value of the
> Version constant (its just make devlopment a bit more tiresome) and would
> realize that code should be rebuilt and  indexes should be built with same
> version as searching indexes. I mean whenever you update the version of a
> library should really test your code, after all Lucene 3.0.0 changed some
> things in 2.9.2 unwittingly, hence the need for 3.0.1.
>
> Paul

Robert Muir
rcmuir@gmail.com

Re: ANNOUNCE: Release of Lucene Java 3.0.1 and 2.9.2

Posted by Paul Taylor <pa...@fastmail.fm>.