Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by George Christman <gc...@cardaddy.com> on 2012/03/15 01:10:18 UTC

Tapestry-jpa 5.3 vs Tapestry-Hibernate

Hello everyone, I figured it's been a while since this topic has been brought
up, so I'd like to come back to it again. I've finally managed to find some
free time to play with my personal project "yay", which means I'll be doing
a full rewrite. I'd like to hear what Tapestry-JPA users have to say about
it in comparison to hibernate. For the past couple years, I've used
Tapestry-Hibernate which has been really nice to work with, however I was
recently turned on to Tapestry-JPA. I was told I wouldn't need to use value
encoders with Tapestry-JPA, something I need to do all the time with
Hibernate. This seemed pretty appealing, is there any other advantages I
should know about? Thanks Guys.

Re: Tapestry-jpa 5.3 vs Tapestry-Hibernate

Posted by Robert Zeigler <ro...@roxanemy.com>.
Not sure how tapestry-jpa handles un-persisted instances. That is certainly another area where tapestry-hibernate does not give you a useable ValueEncoder.
To clarify my last post: tapestry-hibernate will give you a functional default value encoder if:
  1) The entity has a single column pk
  2) The entity is persistent

Robert

Posted by Robert Zeigler <ro...@roxanemy.com>.
Disclaimer: I haven't used tapestry-jpa. :)
But, Tapestry uses value encoders. tapestry-hibernate uses them, tapestry-jpa uses them.
Tapestry uses them. The only question is whether you need to write custom value encoders.
tapestry-hibernate will provide default encoders for entities with a single pk column.
tapestry-jpa can evidently handle multi-column pks.

So you'll write fewer custom value encoders with tapestry-jpa than you will/might otherwise with tapestry-hibernate.

Not sure about other advantages.

HTH,

Robert