Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Robert Denton <ro...@headsprout.com> on 2007/03/01 16:00:14 UTC

hot-backup.py difficulty

Hello all, I was hoping someone could advise me on this problem. I am
having some difficulty getting hot-backup.py to run properly on my
Windows box. I have scoured the mailing list archives and have found
a few threads from 2005 and 2004 that mention this problem but there
was no resolution that I could find.  First here is the error I am
getting when I run the script:

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "E:\subver\backup\hot-backup.py", line 204, in ?
     backup_subdir, "--clean-logs")
   File "C:\Python23\lib\os.py", line 566, in spawnl
     return spawnv(mode, file, args)
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

 From what I have found so far, this seems to be a problem with the
script not being able to find the svnadmin tool. I have tried these
methods of setting that variable in the script:

# Path to svnadmin utility
# svnadmin = "'C:/Program Files/Subversion/bin/svnadmin'"
# svnadmin = "C:/etc/Subversion/bin/svnadmin"
svnadmin = "svnadmin"

None of these work however, and they all produce the same error. So
now I am thinking that perhaps it is not a problem finding the
svnadmin tool at all.

I started with Python 2.4 and then uninstalled that in favor of
Python 2.3 at the suggestion of someone from the mailing list
archives.  So...

Has anyone run into this before?  And if so, how did you resolve it?
Even if you did not experience this problem, do you have any other
suggestions?  Thanks!

Re: hot-backup.py difficulty

Posted by Robert Denton <ro...@headsprout.com>.
Scouring the mailing list archives a second time paid off. I found
this resolution and it seems to have worked in my case as well.  If
that turns out not to be the case I will post to let everyone know:

From: Damian Powell <Da...@cgp.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 09:19:50 +0100
Subject: hot-backup.py on windows

Yeah, I had the same problem. I got it to work by changing the global
settings section (line 30-34) to:

     # Path to svnlook utility
     svnlook = "C:\\Progra~1\\Subversion\\bin\\svnlook.exe" # svnlook =
"@SVN_BINDIR@/svnlook"

     # Path to svnadmin utility
     svnadmin = "C:\\Progra~1\\Subversion\\bin\\svnadmin.exe" #
svnadmin =
"@SVN_BINDIR@/svnadmin"

...and by changing the invocation of spawnl (line 128) to:

     err_code = os.spawnl(os.P_WAIT, svnadmin, svnadmin, "hotcopy",
repo_dir,

Hope that helps.