Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by John Austin <jw...@sympatico.ca> on 2003/11/14 19:57:18 UTC

Posting responses from the Digest ?

Is there a good way for a Digest reader to send a response to the
list ?

I prefer the digest and occasionally want to reply. It is
non-trivial so I usually just e-mail the original poster. This
is Ok but the contribution doesn't get archived.

Thanks.

Cocoon is SO improved from 18 months ago.

--
John Austin <jw...@sympatico.ca>

Re: [OT] Re: Posting responses from the Digest ?

Posted by Martin Stricker <sh...@gmx.de>.
"J.Pietschmann" wrote:

> This makes me wonder: the ezlm digest is a MIME multipart containing
> RCF822 parts, which should be the original messages with all relevant
> headers, certainly the message id which should be put into the
> In-Reply-To header of the answer.
> A clever mail client should be able to reply to a message contained
> in such a digest the same way as to a single message. Unfortunately,
> I've never seen such a beast. Does anybody have more information on
> this?

MS Outlook might be able to - it displays attached mails as attachments
(you need to double-click them to see the content). But I'm not sure if
Outlook places a In-Reply-To header into a response. But Outlook cannot
display mails in threads...

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/
Webmaster-Forum: http://www.masterportal24.com/cgi-bin/yindex.cgi
Red Hat Linux 9 for low memory: http://www.rule-project.org/

[OT] Re: Posting responses from the Digest ?

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Martin Stricker wrote:
> Do not reply to the digest. Replies contain a hidden header field with a
> reference to the mail you reply to. That helps threading in the mail
> viewer, but a reference to the digest mail would destroy the threading.

This makes me wonder: the ezlm digest is a MIME multipart containing
RCF822 parts, which should be the original messages with all relevant
headers, certainly the message id which should be put into the
In-Reply-To header of the answer.
A clever mail client should be able to reply to a message contained
in such a digest the same way as to a single message. Unfortunately,
I've never seen such a beast. Does anybody have more information on
this?

J.Pietschmann

Re: Posting responses from the Digest ?

Posted by Martin Stricker <sh...@gmx.de>.
John Austin wrote:

> Is there a good way for a Digest reader to send a response to the
> list ?

Do not reply to the digest. Replies contain a hidden header field with a
reference to the mail you reply to. That helps threading in the mail
viewer, but a reference to the digest mail would destroy the threading.
Most mail readers will place a reply without any reference into the
thread with the same subject. Then copy over the list mail address and
the subject (remember to include "Re: " if not already present) of the
mail you are replying to, and the parts of the mail you want to reply to
(mark them with "> ").