Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Eric Brown <er...@gmail.com> on 2005/06/01 19:54:24 UTC

[users@httpd] problem with require directive

Hello-

Trying to setup basic authentication.

Using the following in my httpd.conf file:

<Location /svn>
   #how to authenticate a user
   AuthType Basic
   AuthName "Restricted Files"
   AuthUserFile /etc/site-passwd
   #Only authenticated users may have access
   Require valid-user brownec
</Location>
Here are the modules I have:
LoadModule access_module modules/mod_access.so
LoadModule auth_module modules/mod_auth.so
LoadModule auth_anon_module modules/mod_auth_anon.so
LoadModule auth_dbm_module modules/mod_auth_dbm.so
LoadModule auth_digest_module modules/mod_auth_digest.so
LoadModule ssl_module modules/mod_ssl.so
LoadModule mime_module modules/mod_mime.so
LoadModule dav_module modules/mod_dav.so
LoadModule status_module modules/mod_status.so
LoadModule dav_svn_module modules/mod_dav_svn.so=20

The authentication window pops up OK, but I can't get in, and I get
the following lines
in my error log:

error: unknown require directive valid-user
error: user brownec does not have access

- valid-user is a valid directive, and I have the right module to use it.
- my name is entered in the /etc/site-passwd file (used the htpasswd comman=
d)

Still getting the same error after a few server restarts.  Can't seem
to get around this one.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: [users@httpd] problem with require directive

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 6/2/05, Eric Brown <er...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2. I'd like /svn to be read off of my document root /path/to/docroot.
> <Location /svn>
> </Location>
> Which I understood to mean that when I brought up my
> page(www.mysite.com), it would display my doc root,
> /absolute/path/to/docroot, and would use whatever options I place
> inside of the tags. Correct?

I don't understand that question at all.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] problem with require directive

Posted by Eric Brown <er...@gmail.com>.
My mistake.
<Directory /path/to/svn>

1.I tried it again without my user name and using the directory tag.
working well. Thank you.

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Brown <er...@gmail.com>.
Here's what worked:  I put all of the Auth directives in a Directory tag

<Directory /svn>
  #how to authenticate a user
  AuthType Basic
  AuthName "Restricted Files"
  AuthUserFile /etc/site-passwd
  #Only authenticated users may have access
  Require valid-user brownec
</Directory>

I could only get the site to authenticate when I had my name listed in
the valid-user line.
Otherwise, I get "unknown require directive" messages in my error log.

I was under the impression that apache looked in the location block
before the directory block.

Posted by Joshua Slive <js...@gmail.com>.
On 6/1/05, Eric Brown <er...@gmail.com> wrote:
>    Require valid-user brownec

Hmmm... That doesn't make sense.  You want either:
# Let any user in
Require valid-user
# or let in only brownec
Require user brownec