Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Peter Harrison <pe...@nothingbutnet.co.nz> on 2003/08/21 02:13:09 UTC

Tomcat 4.1 DefaultContext Bug?

I have spent the last three days trying everything to move from 4.0 to 4.1.
The problem is with the datasources. When the resource is in a specific
Context everything works, but when its in the DefaultContext I am getting a

java.sql.SQLException: Cannot load JDBC driver class 'null'

The server.xml has a resource defined:

<Resource name="jdbc/foo" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.DataSource"/>

<ResourceParams name="jdbc/foo">
</ResourceParams>

My web.xml now has:

 <resource-ref>
      <description>Foo Database</description>
      <res-ref-name>jdbc/foo</res-ref-name>
      <res-auth>Container</res-auth>
  </resource-ref>

The driver is there - since I it works when the Context is specific. The
problem however is that a Context that is specified will block unpacking of a
war. There are some issues with using the war directly without unpacking - so
I need to define the datasource in the DefaultContext. However this isn't
working.

Simply changing from DefaultContext to Context "solves" the problem - proving
that it is the DefaultContext which doesn't appear to work.

Help :)

Peter

Re: Tomcat 4.1 DefaultContext Bug?

Posted by Peter Harrison <pe...@nothingbutnet.co.nz>.
On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 15:26, Kwok Peng Tuck wrote:
> Specifically what problems do you have when running the app as a  war
> file  ?

The main problem I think is that Velocity requires files. You supply the
directory, and it accesses them from the filesystem. If you don't unpack
Velocity can't find its files. There is probably a way around this so that
Velocity can use the war directly, however I was hoping to simply migrate
from 4.0 to 4.1, and was hoping it would just be a minor configuration issue
to get it going.

I've read the 4.1 documentation, and from what I can see the specification in
terms of the DefaultContext hasn't changed, although they are definitly
behaving differently. Perhaps its time to look at the code :)

Re: Tomcat 4.1 DefaultContext Bug?

Posted by Peter Harrison <pe...@nothingbutnet.co.nz>.

Re: Server.xml

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
Of course, one way is to comment out the http connector.  The other way is
to include a security-constraint in your web.xml something like:
  <security-constraint>
    <web-resource-collection>
       <web-resource-name>SSL area</web-resource-name>
       <url-pattern>/protected/*</url-pattern>
    </web-resource-collection>
    <user-data-constraint>
    </user-data-constraint>
  </security-constraint>

This forces all URLs under /myapp/protected to use SSL to process them.  Of
course, modify the url-pattern to match your use case.

You can only configure this per-directory with Tomcat-out-of-the-box.  To
configure this per-user, you would need to write your own Filter to do this.

Re: Server.xml

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.

Server.xml

Server.xml