Posted to user@hive.apache.org by "Vikash Talanki -X (vtalanki - INFOSYS LIMITED at Cisco)" <vt...@cisco.com> on 2014/09/30 22:53:44 UTC

Hive nested query result storage

Hi All,

Please help me understand where and how does hive store temporary result of a nested query.

I have written a UDF which reads the data from a table t1 in a nested query.
Table t1 should be in ascending order and I have to make sure that t1 data should be processed by a single mapper. The reason for single mapper is that my UDF contains some global variables which gets initialized per mapper and if t1 is processed by multiple mappers then output would result wrong.

Query:

select gsid,contract,max_date,min_date,contract_rangeId(gsid,contract,max_date,min_date) as range_id from (select gsid,contract,max_date,min_date from tmp_rcc_normwk_gs0_test3 order by gsid,contract,max_date,min_date) t1.

Since the nested query select gsid,contract,max_date,min_date from tmp_rcc_normwk_gs0_test3 order by gsid,contract,max_date,min_date runs only one reducer, will the outer query runs with only 1 mapper?
If yes, where does the output of nested query stored? HDFS or local file system?
Love to get some help on this.
[http://www.cisco.com/web/europe/images/email/signature/logo05.jpg]

Vikash Talanki
Engineer - Software
vtalanki@cisco.com
Phone: +1 (408)838 4078

Cisco Systems Limited
SJ-J 3
255 W Tasman Dr
San Jose
CA - 95134
United States
Cisco.com<http://www.cisco.com/>

[Think before you print.]Think before you print.

For corporate legal information go to: