Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Chaman Singh Verma <cs...@yahoo.com> on 2008/04/16 17:07:22 UTC

Backup Tasks in Hadoop MapReduce.

Hello,

I am curious to know whether Hadoop MapReduce has the feature of "Backup
Tasks" as described in the
seminal paper "MapReduce:Simplified Data Processing in Large Cluster" ( Dean
and Ghemawat ).

Any implementation detail will be extremely valuable.

Thanks.

With Regards.
Chaman Singh Verma
Poona,India

-----
Chaman Singh Verma
Poona, India

Re: Backup Tasks in Hadoop MapReduce.

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@veoh.com>.
I believe that this is turned on by default (at least in 15).

Posted by Milind Bhandarkar <mi...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Yes. In hadoop, you can enable "backup" tasks by setting
mapred.speculative.execution to true.

- milind

On 4/16/08 8:07 AM, "Chaman Singh Verma" <cs...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am curious to know whether Hadoop MapReduce has the feature of "Backup
> Tasks" as described in the
> seminal paper "MapReduce:Simplified Data Processing in Large Cluster" ( Dean
> and Ghemawat ).
>
> Any implementation detail will be extremely valuable.
>
> Thanks.
>
> With Regards.
> Chaman Singh Verma
> Poona,India
>
> -----
> Chaman Singh Verma
> Poona, India

- Milind
--
Milind Bhandarkar, Chief Spammer, Grid Team
Y!IM: GridSolutions