Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by David Lutterkort <lu...@redhat.com> on 2011/08/17 01:54:30 UTC

[VOTE] release deltacloud 0.4.0, rc2

Hi all,

I just uploaded the second release candidate for Deltacloud 0.4.0. The rc is
available from http://people.apache.org/~lutter/deltacloud/0.4.0/rc2/

Please vote on the release candidate by Friday, 2011-08-19 15:00 PDT

The rc2 differs from rc1 in only two small changes:
     1. Fix cucumber tests that failed because of the version bump
     2. Fix an issue where POST requests containing matrix params were
        not processed correctly (e.g. POST /api;driver=mock/instances
        was failing)

I include the announcement for rc1 for convenience:

Many thanks to all those who contributed patches, reported bugs, and
asked for features. It's great to see that the list of committers and
patch contributors is steadily increasing.

Overview of the changes for this release:

Server:
  * deltacloudd: new option --drivers to list all drivers
  * deltacloudd: new options --ssl, --ssl-key and --ssl-cert to
    enable HTTPS support
  * API entrypoint reports features in JSON
  * unify response behavior: any operation returning a 201 Created also
    sets the Location header to point to the new resource; ensure the
    status for an operation is the same regardless of output format
  * Add type to public addresses; type can be one of 'ipv4', 'mac', 'vnc',
    and 'hostname'
  * Complete overhaul of the HTML UI, now uses jquery-mobile
  * Response status for attach/detach storage is now 202 (instead of 302)
  * Response status for get/set blob metadata is 204 No Content
  * Response status for (un)register with load balancer is 204 No Content
  * The user_name feature now reports the permissible length of the name
    as the 'max_length' constraint
  * Add Date header to responses as per RFC 2616
  * New collection 'firewalls' for managing sets of firewalling rules
  * split server/config/drivers.yaml into individual files so each driver
    can be packaged separately; gives deployers better choice of what
    drivers they want enabled
  * Numerous bug fixes and improvements to the test suite
  * Drivers
    + Condor
      - new driver to run a simple cloud based on the Condor grid scheduler
    + EC2
      - Fix bug in reboot instance so that the details returned are those
        of the stopped instance, not some random instance
      - Support getting and updating blob metadata
      - support destroying images
      - support firewalls (security groups)
      - do not support user_name anymore; instance tagging is too fragile
        in EC2 to be used reliably for this
      - do not support registering an instance with a load balancer upon
        creation anymore
      - stream blob PUT to backend (requires thin)
      - support attaching EBS snapshot to instance upon creation (feature
        'attach_snapshot')
      - support elastic IP's
    + Eucalyptus
      - support firewalls (security groups)
      - support elastic IP's
    + Gogrid
      - when retrieving single realm, make sure we return the right one
      - correctly capture load_balancer params
      - report a listener if load_balancer has no instances
    + Mock
      - support destroying images
    + Rackspace
      - support destroying images
      - stream blob PUT to backend (requires thin)
    + RHEV-M
      - support creating and destroying images
      - report VNC address of instances
      - can use Audrey's confserver to fetch IP of an instance
    + vSphere
      - turns a VMWare vSphere installation into a cloud
      - driver stateless, state is stored in vSphere's data store in
        'deltacloud' folder
      - images are template VM's
      - single HWP, whose max_cpu and max_memory are based on available
        cpus and memory across all vSphere hosts
      - support data injection via user_data and user_iso (upload entire
        ISO image) For both, instance gets virtual CD-ROM with injected
        data

Client:
  * make authentication info for instances available
  * retrieve type and address for public addresses of an instance
  * deltacloudc: allow specifying bucket location when creating a bucket

Site:
  * Major rewrite of REST API docs, covers the entire API now
  * Add libdeltacloud API docs

I will update the website and docs to reflect those changes in time for
the official release.

David

Re: [VOTE] release deltacloud 0.4.0, rc2

Posted by Michal Fojtik <mf...@redhat.com>.
On Aug 17, 2011, at 8:39 AM, marios@redhat.com wrote:

> On 17/08/11 02:54, David Lutterkort wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just uploaded the second release candidate for Deltacloud 0.4.0. The rc is
>> available from http://people.apache.org/~lutter/deltacloud/0.4.0/rc2/
>>
>> Please vote on the release candidate by Friday, 2011-08-19 15:00 PDT
>>

> +1 for release

+1 for release

  -- michal

Michal Fojtik, mfojtik@redhat.com
Deltacloud API: http://deltacloud.org

Re: [VOTE] release deltacloud 0.4.0, rc2

Posted by "marios@redhat.com" <ma...@redhat.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 19 August 2011 00:48, David Lutterkort <lu...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-08-18 at 02:32 +0100, sebb wrote:

>> > Yes,
>> > https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/deltacloud/tags/release-0.4.0-rc2/
>>
>> There should be the NOTICE and DISCLAIMER files alongside the LICENSE
>> file at the top level of the tag.
>
> The deltacloud release consists of two main artifacts: the server and
> the (ruby) client; anything that goes into these artifacts is kept in
> the server/ and client/ subdirectories. The corresponding NOTICE etc.
> files are in these directories.

That's fine, but if the tag (or trunk) URL will be published anywhere
it really needs the DISCLAIMER, LICENSE and NOTICE files at the top
level.
The LICENSE is already there; just add the other two.

> None of the other subdirectories in svn are part of the release
> artifacts - some of them contain the project site, others contain
> clients that we'd like to add to the releases at some point, but they
> are currently not in a state where I'd want to include them in a
> release.

That's fine, but the top-level still needs the D&N files.

Posted by David Lutterkort <lu...@redhat.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 18 August 2011 01:29, David Lutterkort <lu...@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-08-17 at 04:32 +0100, sebb wrote:
>> On 17 August 2011 00:54, David Lutterkort <lu...@redhat.com> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I just uploaded the second release candidate for Deltacloud 0.4.0. The rc is
>> > available from http://people.apache.org/~lutter/deltacloud/0.4.0/rc2/
>>
>> Is there an SVN tag that corresponds with the release?
>
> Yes,
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/deltacloud/tags/release-0.4.0-rc2/

There should be the NOTICE and DISCLAIMER files alongside the LICENSE
file at the top level of the tag.

I'm having problems reconciling the contents of the SVN tag with the
tgz file contents.
All source content should be present in SVN.

Generally all SVN content is also present in the archives, but there
can be exceptions, e.g. for sandbox code and the DOAP file.
But if some source is omitted, it must still be possible to build the
code from the source archive without needing to check out SVN source.

>> Also, what about the KEYS file so sigs can be checked?
>
> That's in the official download directory:
> http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/deltacloud/

I notice that your key does not mention apache at all.
Perhaps you could add your apache e-mail address?

>> The NOTICE file says 2010
>> It also mentions 3rd party software by IBM and others, but there don't
>> seem to be any corresponding licences in the LICENSE file.
>
> I will fix both these for the next rc. Do I need to include the full
> text of licenses ? For example, for an MIT licensed component, do I need
> to add
>
>        MIT License
>          ... full text ...
>
>        Component XYZ, written by hackers@example.org, is licensed under
>        the MIT license provided above

Yes, see for example the httpd license file at:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/LICENSE

>> The jquery headers state that the code is available either under the
>> MIT or GPL 2 licences; the LICENSE file needs to be very clear which
>> one we are choosing, as the ASF policy is not to include GPL 2 code.
>
> Yes, using them under MIT is the intent.

Good, then mention this in the LICENSE file.

>> Sorry, but I think these are blockers.
>
> Thanks for pointing these out; I'll send another mail when rc3 is ready,
> hopefully tomorrow.

3rd time lucky?

Posted by David Lutterkort <lu...@redhat.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Lutterkort <lu...@redhat.com>.
Hi Sang-Min,

thanks for testing.

On Fri, 2011-08-19 at 13:45 -0700, Sang-Min Park wrote:
> - In firewall, I couldn't create a new rule. It looks like opts['id'] is
> empty when create_firewall_rule of a driver (EC2 or Eucalyptus) is invoked.

I believe Chris had an issue with that, too. I just posted patches for
that.

> - "Create new address" doesn't work

Posted a patch in the same patch series for that.

> - Couldn't attach a volume to an instance

This still needs to be addressed.

> Again, please note these issues were found while using web UI, not client
> tools or cucumber tests.

I also thought that it's 'just a UI' issue, and since DC is all about
hte API: who cares. But then realized that people trying out DC for the
first time are likely to do that with the UI - so we should try and not
ship broken UI in the release.

Hoipefully we can address the outstanding issues (attaching volume and
Marios' blob fixes) on Monday, and then make an rc3.

Posted by Sang-Min Park <sa...@eucalyptus.com>.
Hi all,

I was testing Eucalyptus driver using the web UI, and found a couple
problems:

- In firewall, I couldn't create a new rule. It looks like opts['id'] is
empty when create_firewall_rule of a driver (EC2 or Eucalyptus) is invoked.
- "Create new address" doesn't work
- Couldn't attach a volume to an instance

Again, please note these issues were found while using web UI, not client
tools or cucumber tests.

--SM

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 6:59 AM, Chris Lalancette <cl...@redhat.com>wrote:

> On 08/16/11 - 04:54:30PM, David Lutterkort wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I just uploaded the second release candidate for Deltacloud 0.4.0. The rc
> is
> > available from http://people.apache.org/~lutter/deltacloud/0.4.0/rc2/
> >
> > Please vote on the release candidate by Friday, 2011-08-19 15:00 PDT
> >
> > The rc2 differs from rc1 in only two small changes:
> >      1. Fix cucumber tests that failed because of the version bump
> >      2. Fix an issue where POST requests containing matrix params were
> >         not processed correctly (e.g. POST /api;driver=mock/instances
> >         was failing)
> >
> > I include the announcement for rc1 for convenience:
> >
> > Many thanks to all those who contributed patches, reported bugs, and
> > asked for features. It's great to see that the list of committers and
> > patch contributors is steadily increasing.
>
> I think I just found a backwards-compatibility problem in the bucket and
> blob
> creation stuff (see my "Blob creation" mail from today).  We might want to
> hold off on the release until we get that resolved.
>
> --
> Chris Lalancette

Sang-Min Park
Engineer
Eucalyptus Systems

Re: [VOTE] release deltacloud 0.4.0, rc2

Posted by Sang-Min Park <sa...@eucalyptus.com>.
Hi all,

I was testing Eucalyptus driver using the web UI, and found a couple
problems:

- In firewall, I couldn't create a new rule. It looks like opts['id'] is
empty when create_firewall_rule of a driver (EC2 or Eucalyptus) is invoked.
- "Create new address" doesn't work
- Couldn't attach a volume to an instance

Again, please note these issues were found while using web UI, not client
tools or cucumber tests.

--SM

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 6:59 AM, Chris Lalancette <cl...@redhat.com>wrote:

> On 08/16/11 - 04:54:30PM, David Lutterkort wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I just uploaded the second release candidate for Deltacloud 0.4.0. The rc
> is
> > available from http://people.apache.org/~lutter/deltacloud/0.4.0/rc2/
> >
> > Please vote on the release candidate by Friday, 2011-08-19 15:00 PDT
> >
> > The rc2 differs from rc1 in only two small changes:
> >      1. Fix cucumber tests that failed because of the version bump
> >      2. Fix an issue where POST requests containing matrix params were
> >         not processed correctly (e.g. POST /api;driver=mock/instances
> >         was failing)
> >
> > I include the announcement for rc1 for convenience:
> >
> > Many thanks to all those who contributed patches, reported bugs, and
> > asked for features. It's great to see that the list of committers and
> > patch contributors is steadily increasing.
>
> I think I just found a backwards-compatibility problem in the bucket and
> blob
> creation stuff (see my "Blob creation" mail from today).  We might want to
> hold off on the release until we get that resolved.
>
> --
> Chris Lalancette

Sang-Min Park
Engineer
Eucalyptus Systems

Re: [VOTE] release deltacloud 0.4.0, rc2

Posted by Chris Lalancette <cl...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Chris Lalancette <cl...@redhat.com>.