Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2008/10/01 15:37:59 UTC

Maven 2.0.10 release?

Hi,

Is anyone opposed to moving forward with a (likely much shorter)
2.0.10 release cycle with what is already on the branch now?

Was anyone already planning to do this?

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

RE: Maven 2.0.10 release?

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
This might help clarify it for you:
http://blogs.sonatype.com/brian/2008/09/05/1220649145080.html

Technically the most recent release is 2.1M1 but if you don't consider
M1 a real release, then yes 2.0.9 is the latest.

Re: Maven 2.0.10 release?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 01/10/2008, at 11:59 PM, John Casey wrote:

> I'm stuck in assembly-plugin mode for the moment, but if you want to
> move forward with it, go ahead.

Sure, I can grab that if you like, since I imagine you'll be busy on
2.1.0-M2 soon.

> FWIW, we also need to put the 2.1 release plan to a vote,
> particularly given the little bit of discussion we've had over
> jackrabbit vs. mercury.

Cool

> ...all things I haven't had time to clear off my to-do list for the
> last week or two.

I know that feeling!

Cheers,
Brett

Re: Maven 2.0.10 release?

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 02/10/2008, at 5:23 AM, John Casey wrote:

> http://www.nabble.com/WebDAV-deploying-bug-with-Maven-2.1.0-M1-to19673500.html
>
> Admittedly, not a real healthy discussion, but IMO it might be
> worthwhile to discuss. The jackrabbit implementation is new as of
> 1.0-beta-3 (really beta-4, since beta-3 is badly broken), and
> mercury has been under a LOT of development lately, and I know folks
> are putting quite a bit of effort into testing and documenting
> it...so it seems like it might be a better way to go.
>
> We have to fix MDEPLOY-85, and that means at a minimum a new release
> of wagon-webdav-jackrabbit...at that point, we have an opportunity
> to make a decision about which webdav to use.

I doubt this is going to be a big deal to turn around.

Wagon is what it is, not perfect, but at least we have a pretty well
known quantity now.

> BTW, we should also talk about a "pointer" wagon-webdav project that
> could simply house a relocation section that points to the current
> preferred wagon webDAV impl artifactId. This is a bit of a problem
> in beta-4, according to some people I've talked to, since the old
> wagon-webdav is no longer available.

The old one, beta-2, still works. But it was never that hot.

I'd rather we invest energy in making sure people know you usually
don't need the webdav wagon in the first place in many cases.

Cheers,
Brett

Re: 2.10 vs 2.2.0 (was Maven 2.0.10 release?)

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
The point was to do one milestone release per major feature, to help
firewall one set of changes from others, and give us a little more focus
in creating good tests for that feature. We haven't even finalized that
release plan, or 2.2.0 for that matter, which is what I brought up
originally.

If you want to rearrange things on the release plan such that they make
sense to you, then put that plan up for a vote, I'm fine with it.
However, I'm not in a position to drive this planning forward for the
moment, so the current state of things simply reflects the most recent
change I've been able to make out there.

We're highly resource-constrained here, that's all.

-j

---
John Casey
Developer and PMC Member, Apache Maven (http://maven.apache.org)
Member, Apache Software Foundation
Blog: http://www.ejlife.net/blogs/buildchimp

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 02/10/2008, at 6:36 AM, Ralph Goers wrote:

> I'm really confused. Why is stuff going into 2.2.0 when 2.1.0 hasn't
> even been finished.  If the mercury wagon provider has improvements
> and doesn't impact users why shouldn't it be added to the 2.1.0
> roadmap?

Amen to that. I'm all for branching new stuff to avoid getting
distracted but if someone has a particular itch and can prove a
solution on a branch then including it earlier is better to get more
exposure. We don't want to derail a roadmap or get distracted, but we
don't need any more roadblocks.

> I'm also wondering why the enhancement I did to fix MNG-624 can't go
> into M2 instead of waiting for M6 as the current roadmap suggests.

I need to review it, but if there's some consensus that it is suitable
for trunk already, let's roll it in and get M2 out now. Release often,
and always getting closer to final and not further away is the
important part.

Cheers,
Brett

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 02/10/2008, at 7:03 AM, Oleg Gusakov wrote:

> Ralph Goers wrote:
>> I'm really confused. Why is stuff going into 2.2.0 when 2.1.0
>> hasn't even been finished.  If the mercury wagon provider has
>> improvements and doesn't impact users why shouldn't it be added to
>> the 2.1.0 roadmap?
> I don't have any problem with that. Will try it with 2.1.x branch
> and track in http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MERCURY-12
>
> When it passes ITs, I'll add it to 2.1.x roadmap, if there are no
> objections?

My main concern is when we'll see a mercury release. I don't want to
get into another situation where we are using endless cycles of
alphas. I'd give serious consideration to splitting out the probably
more refined transport part and releasing that. Please refer to me
previous email about the wagon for this and some additional questions
I'm waiting for answers on (nudge :)

- Brett

Posted by Oleg Gusakov <ol...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: Maven 2.0.10 release?

Posted by Oleg Gusakov <ol...@gmail.com>.

Re: Maven 2.0.10 release?

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
To say it's the existing implementation doesn't really capture the
situation accurately, IMO. Jackrabbit is only the existing
implementation since the beta-4 release, and has only be included in the
first milestone of 2.1.0 of Maven. I'm not sure where else it's included
- say, Archiva, or wherever - but including the Mercury wagon in Maven
2.1.0 doesn't preclude the continued development of the jackrabbit
wagon, if others are more interested in that. But, we might look at the
two implementations as being on equal footing, and therefore we have an
open decision before us as to which one to use in Maven.

Re: Maven 2.0.10 release?

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: Maven 2.0.10 release?

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

Re: Maven 2.0.10 release?

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: Maven 2.0.10 release?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
No one was suggesting putting Mercury into 2.0.x. That would be a bad
idea.

Only in a cycle, the next major version, would it make sense to make
changes.

We already made many changes that were too drastic. The wagon changes
were not a good idea, just many of the other significant changes that
were slated for 2.0.x got pushed out to 2.1.x.

On 1-Oct-08, at 6:23 PM, Arnaud HERITIER wrote:

> If we consider to be dangerous to include interpolation changes on
> which we
> made a lot of tests, and a lot of RCs) I think it will be a very
> very bad
> idea to try to include a new component like mercury in 2.0.x (I have
> nothing
> against it, it's just that we don't know which issues we'll
> encounter).
> Thus I'll be in favor to Brian point of view : only minor changes
> (perhaps
> we have to keep wagon beta 2).
> We'll try mercury in 2.1 (I hope we'll have new milestones quickly) .
>
> Arnaud
>
> On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 3:59 PM, John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm stuck in assembly-plugin mode for the moment, but if you want
>> to move
>> forward with it, go ahead. FWIW, we also need to put the 2.1
>> release plan to
>> a vote, particularly given the little bit of discussion we've had
>> over
>> jackrabbit vs. mercury.
>>
>> ...all things I haven't had time to clear off my to-do list for the
>> last
>> week or two.
>>
>> -john
>>
>> ---
>> John Casey
>> Developer and PMC Member, Apache Maven (http://maven.apache.org)
>> Member, Apache Software Foundation
>> Blog: http://www.ejlife.net/blogs/buildchimp
>>

>> Brett Porter wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is anyone opposed to moving forward with a (likely much shorter)
>>> 2.0.10
>>> release cycle with what is already on the branch now?
>>>
>>> Was anyone already planning to do this?
>>>
>>> - Brett
>>>
>>> --
>>> Brett Porter
>>> brett@apache.org
>>> http://blogs.exist.com/bporter/

> Arnaud HERITIER
> OCTO Technology - aheritier AT octo DOT com
> www.octo.com | blog.octo.com
> ASF - aheritier AT apache DOT org
> www.apache.org | maven.apache.org

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

believe nothing, no matter where you read it,
or who has said it,
not even if i have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense.

  -- Buddha

Re: Maven 2.0.10 release?

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
I agree with that. Sorry, I didn't see you were talking about 2.1 in your
first reply.

cheers

Re: Maven 2.0.10 release?

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

Re: Maven 2.0.10 release?

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.

Re: Maven 2.0.10 release?

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.

RE: Maven 2.0.10 release?

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
I'm still not, since it's M1 we don't know how many users actually
grabbed it. I wouldn't want to shove this out as 2.0.10 since it could
break something we don't know of.

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.

RE: Maven 2.0.10 release?

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.

Re: Maven 2.0.10 release?

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
Why ?
It's working well finally ?

Arnaud

Re: Maven 2.0.10 release?

Posted by John Casey <jd...@commonjava.org>.
I rolled the 2.0.x branch back from that already. Both that and the
interpolation changes were rolled back, which were the two major changes
that happened before we branched for the RCs

RE: Maven 2.0.10 release?