Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mathieu Frenette <ma...@silphid.com> on 2003/09/29 19:33:56 UTC

Sharing repos between Linux and Windows

Dear subversives!

As many of you, I must deal with the duality of Linux and Windows in my
development work.  For this, I have a FAT32 partition on which I store
everything I want to share between the two OSes, which includes my
Subversion repository.  However, it seems like any repository created
from within one OS is not usable in the other OS. More specifically, it
looks like the Berkeley DB chokes on the database files.  I suspect the
culprits to be the CR/LF line terminators (in the database files) which
are not treated the same on both OSes.  I guess that I could mount my
FAT32 partition with auto-conversion, but I'm afraid it would screw up
the binary files.

This is the error message I get in Linux when I try to do anything on a
repository I created in Windows:

$ svn checkout file:///svn/trunk
subversion/libsvn_ra_local/ra_plugin.c:159: (apr_err=180001)
svn: Couldn't open a repository.
svn: Unable to open an ra_local session to URL
subversion/libsvn_ra_local/split_url.c:112: (apr_err=180001)
svn: Unable to open repository 'file:///svn/trunk'
subversion/libsvn_fs/bdb/bdb-err.c:58: (apr_err=160029)
svn: Berkeley DB error
svn: Berkeley DB error while opening environment for filesystem /svn/db:
Resource temporarily unavailable

And I get something similar in Windows, for a repository created in Linux.

I can do a "svnadmin recover /svn" in either OS to make it work, but it
screws it up for the other OS.  I guess that the recovery process fixes
the line terminators in some way, so that it matches the OS's
conventions, but that doesn't help in my case, since I want to be able
to switch from one OS to the other (without having to perform a recovery
everytime! ;-)

I'm sure many of you must have the same needs, so I would really like to
hear how you fixed it up.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Mathieu.

Re: Sharing repos between Linux and Windows

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
Mathieu Frenette wrote:
> I chose to use FAT32 for this partition because it was compatible with
> both OSes in read/write, whereas NTFS was only recommendable for
> read-only.  However, I know that I might still encounter problems
> related to CR/LFs, not because of the file system type, but rather due
> to the differences in the OSes.

BerkeleyDB database files are not portable between O/S's.  You should be happy
that you are able to run recover and get _anything_ useful back.  You should set
up another machine to host your repository, rather than trying to share your
DB's.  Alternatively, you could get a VMWare license and run Windows inside of
Linux (or <shudder> vice versa) and keep the repository on some other partition.

In any case, FAT32 is not a robust file system; the EOL problems are the least
of your worries, IMSNHO...

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group

Re: Sharing repos between Linux and Windows

Posted by Mathieu Frenette <ma...@silphid.com>.
Hi Erik!

Sorry, I should have been more precise.  I have a dual-boot system of
both Windows XP and Mandrake Linux 9.1.  I have a FAT32 partition, used
only for my source code and documents, that is accessible to both
operating systems, obviously only one OS at a time.  When I boot into
Windows (C: drive), my source code partition is accessible as the D:
drive.  When I boot into Linux, my source code partition gets mounted
into /mnt/data.

I chose to use FAT32 for this partition because it was compatible with
both OSes in read/write, whereas NTFS was only recommendable for
read-only.  However, I know that I might still encounter problems
related to CR/LFs, not because of the file system type, but rather due
to the differences in the OSes.

Hope this clarifies my situation a bit...

Best regards,

Mathieu.

Posted by Mathieu Frenette <ma...@silphid.com>.
Hi Erik!