Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2020/02/12 15:08:11 UTC

Backport OFBIZ-11317

Hi All,

Even if OFBIZ-11306 does not directly depend upon it, it's safer to have been backported with it.

If nobody disagree, I'll do so in a week

Thanks

Jacques

Re: Backport OFBIZ-11317

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
To be crystal clear: I'll only do the backport at the "same time" than when we will backport for OFBIZ-11316. It's not needed before. This should be
expected for 17.12.02 version...

Jacques

Re: Backport OFBIZ-11317

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
BTW, I'm not sure it's mandatory, but there are maybe some cases where the same (CSRF token generation) should be done for ofbizContentUrl

Jacques

Re: Backport OFBIZ-11317

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 15/02/2020 à 17:39, Michael Brohl a écrit :
> UrlRegexpTransform should also be moved to the framework then, it does not belong in the applications/product component when used elsewhere.

To be checked, I mean why is it there and not in framework? It could miss in product...
I also wonder why we have all these separated freemarkerTransforms.properties. Why not put most, if not all, in framework? I may miss something
though, I did not dig deep there.

Jacques

Re: Backport OFBIZ-11317

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.

Re: Backport OFBIZ-11317

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi All,

I forgot the essential:  to remove "/control/" in all URLs, similarly as it's done in ecomseo webapp.

The best advocate for that is Paul (Foxworthy):

    <<The word "control" in the middle of all our APIs is a technical implementation detail, and it's just noise for all our users all of the time.>>[1]

It's the most important point for UrlRegexpTransform usage: we shall remove "/control/" in all URLs . I have created OFBIZ-11354 for that.

Also, somehow related, long ago Paul suggested to add the "Canonical link element" notion  in OFBIZ-5312: https://s.apache.org/93dl5

Jacques
1] https://markmail.org/message/gzsdbqn3dyfpfetc

Re: Backport OFBIZ-11317

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Michael,

Re: Backport OFBIZ-11317

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Hi Jacques,

Re: Backport OFBIZ-11317

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Michael,

Re: Backport OFBIZ-11317

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.

Re: Backport OFBIZ-11317

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Re: Backport OFBIZ-11317

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
OFBIZ-11317 is NOT a new feature. It is an improvement.

If you want to discuss the implications (and impact), of 11306 I suggest to
start a new thread in this ml (or voice your concerns in comment postings
in the appropriate ticket).

As for

There's currently only few questions left for me: we have one
configuration which uses org.apache.ofbiz.webapp.ftl.OfbizUrlTransform
for ofbizUrl and this would not support the controlPath configuration if
I don't miss something. Wouldn't it be better to change this to
UrlRegexpTransform and deprecate OfbizUrlTransform?

UrlRegexpTransform is located inside the product component but the macro
is used in several other components as well. I think it belongs to the
framework/webapp instead of applications/product. What do you think?

I also suggest to start either a new thread in this ml, or open a ticket in
JIRA.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits
*Proud* *contributor* (but without privileges)* of* Apache OFBiz
<https://ofbiz.apache.org/>, since 2008

Re: Backport OFBIZ-11317

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Hi Jacques,

Re: Backport OFBIZ-11317

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 13/02/2020 à 09:31, Michael Brohl a écrit :
> Hi Jacques,
>
> also inline...
>
> Am 13.02.20 um 08:50 schrieb Jacques Le Roux:
>> Jacques,
>>>
>>> as I said, this is a huge patch which spreads over many functionalies in the codebase.
>>>
>>> It was submitted yesterday and got committed on the same day without enough time for others to review and test.
>>
>> You confuse, the commit you speak about was only to complete one missing instance, spotted by Pierre Smits, in the commit done one month ago.
>

> Yes, I confused the date (Jan vs. Feb, time goes by too quick).
>
> I speak of the commits towards https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-11317. The issue was created and on the same day it was committed. It was
> not yesterday but the timeline between submit and commit is the same.

I don't want to argue too much about that, so I hope it will be the end of this exchange. You are right about the Jira and commit moment, they are same.

But I see 2 points here:

  * It's something you can review in ½ a hour, if not even the "famous" 10 minutes. You can even use a regexp to help you...
  * These changes were present exactly the same for a month in OFBIZ-11306

So I did not and still don't see any reasons to delay the commit (the backports were straightforward). We can't wait for everybody to valid a such
simple commit. For such commits CTR[1] is appropriate, and so far we use CTR.

[1] https://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html#CommitThenReview

>>> How can this be considered as a valid base for a security fix without in-depth testing?
>>
>> I think you got it answered
>
> Thank you Jacques. I did not mean to question the work in general, just being sensible to quick commits. I already layed out my motives in other dev
> threads.

Yes, sometimes we must be careful. It's not the case here, and there will other such cases. We don't need to rehearse the same tune everytime, else
the project will be really stale ;)

> I suggest to provide the OFBIZ-11306 patch once you and James think you are finished for others to review.

Sure, that's what we have planned. We will need all available eyeballs to review and hands to test! This said don't refrain (not particularly you
Michael) to begin to review and as the work is going on. There are still some edges to smooth but it's pretty stable now.

Re: Backport OFBIZ-11317

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Hi Jacques,

also inline...

Am 13.02.20 um 08:50 schrieb Jacques Le Roux:
> Jacques,
>>
>> as I said, this is a huge patch which spreads over many functionalies
>> in the codebase.
>>
>> It was submitted yesterday and got committed on the same day without
>> enough time for others to review and test.
>
> You confuse, the commit you speak about was only to complete one
> missing instance, spotted by Pierre Smits, in the commit done one
> month ago.

Yes, I confused the date (Jan vs. Feb, time goes by too quick).

I speak of the commits towards
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-11317. The issue was created
and on the same day it was committed. It was not yesterday but the
timeline between submit and commit is the same.

> Since then James and I work on OFBIZ-11306 (and not OFBIZ-11316 as
> written below) without any issues related to OFBIZ-11317 on which
> OFBIZ-11306 depends upon.
>
> Actually we are working on it for 2 months. Only one month ago I
> suggested to James to extract this part.
>

>> You even acknowledged that you did not test.
>
> Of course I test, everyday for a month with OFBIZ-11306

I was refering to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-11317?focusedCommentId=17013724&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-17013724

Together with the above confusion it raised an alarm for me.

Re: Backport OFBIZ-11317

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
I agree: with current CI tooling and its setup up it can't be detected. If
the project want that changed (automatic testing of PRs before they go into
the master branche(s)) then it needs to step up and change the CI
configuration and/or tooling.

Re: Backport OFBIZ-11317

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 13/02/2020 à 09:35, Michael Brohl a écrit :
> The paths are still hard-coded, the hard-coded part is just moved to a macro parameter. Just to be precise.

See it's simple ;)

I can't see anything complex there. Are there other things which make you worry?

Jacques

Re: Backport OFBIZ-11317

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Hi Pierre,

Re: Backport OFBIZ-11317

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@apache.org>.
OFBIZ-11317 is NOT a huge commit. It is nothing more than a removal of a
hard-coded path in 66 files spread over 4 commits. With impact, as the
stated in the ticket, classified as minor. The code changes have been
tested by the project's CI, since incorporated into the code base and have
not led to breaking the code.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits
*Proud* *contributor* (but without privileges)* of* Apache OFBiz
<https://ofbiz.apache.org/>, since 2008

Re: Backport OFBIZ-11317

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Michael,

Re: Backport OFBIZ-11317

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Jacques,

as I said, this is a huge patch which spreads over many functionalies in
the codebase.

It was submitted yesterday and got committed on the same day without
enough time for others to review and test. You even acknowledged that
you did not test.

Re: Backport OFBIZ-11317

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Michael,