Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Brian Fu <fu...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/22 04:15:32 UTC

Apache openoffice 3.4 License problem

Hi,  All

I would like to ask what components of the Apache openoffice 3.4 does not
belong to the Apachethe license 2.0.

if remove those components,  and the AOO3.4 can still work? , such as
conversion ppt to PDF such functionality.

Best Regards

RE: Apache openoffice 3.4 License problem

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Are you talking about using Apache OpenOffice 3.4.0 in a commercial system where the 3.4.0 is used as part of some process?

Or are you talking about taking source code from the project and building some commercial software?

Only in the second case should those third-party licenses be of concern.

I don't think you will find any problem with simply redistributing and using the software as provided, with no modifications to AOO 3.4.0 itself.

If you modify source code or incorporate (some of) the source code (not the binary program) in some commercial software, you need to always satisfy yourself about the licenses that apply to that particular code.  I can't advise you about that.  You need to acquire the particular source code and inspect the license that applies to it and comply with the applicable license.  That includes code under the Apache License v 2.0 too.

 - Dennis

Posted by Brian Fu <fu...@gmail.com>.
Thinks Dennis.

 But I see the following in AOO3.4 license file�� I do not know whether we to
use the AOO3.4 in commercial software(such as conversion PPT to PDF such
functionality), the license file in the annex

As follows:

APACHE OpenOffice (incubating) SUBCOMPONENTS:
The Apache OpenOffice (incubating includes a number of subcomponents with
separate copyright notices and license terms. Your use of the source
code for the these subcomponents is subject to the terms and
conditions of the following licenses.

--------------------
For main/install-sh:
- MIT license
------------------
For main/apple-remote/inc/*.h - Remote Control Wrapper:
Created by Martin Kahr under a MIT-style license.
----------------------
For main/MathMLDTD/math.dtd:
- W3C license
--------------------------
------------------------
For main/i18npool/source/breakiterator/data/*.txt and
 International Components for Unicode - built in main/icu/
- ICU license
------------------------
For main/sane/inc/sane.h:
- public domain
--------------------------
For main/unixODBC/inc*.h - The iODBC driver manager:
- BSD license
------------------------------
For main/twain/inc/twain.h
The TWAIN licence:
-----------------------------
*----------------------------------
--------------------------------------
-------------------------------------
-----------------------------------
---------------------------------
-------------------------
--------------------------------
-------------------------------
---------------------------------------
[...]

- For Rhino
-- MPL 1.1 / GPL 2.0 dual licensed
 MPL 1.1 is chosen for Apache OpenOffice (incubating)

-------------
---------------------

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
More to the point, any source code included in Apache project releases
that is not under the Apache License 2.0 should be clearly listed in the
NOTICE file, which is included in virtually all Apache project software
releases.

In my Win7 install of AOO 3.4.0 milestone build, I see two copies of
this file:

   $dir/program/NOTICE
and
   $dir/share/readme/NOTICE.txt

These files should list all other components in the AOO release that may
not be under the Apache license.

Note that in virtually all cases, all software in an Apache product are
either the Apache License or another license that meets the OSI's
definition of an open source license, so it's pretty rare that those
other licenses actually prevent most users from doing whatever they
planned to do with the Apache licensed software anyway.

For more details about licensing and NOTICEs, se:

   http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html
   http://www.apache.org/dev/apply-license.html

- Shane