Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Daniell, Casey B" <Ca...@reyrey.com> on 2006/05/08 21:58:26 UTC

mailer.py diff in windows

Ok, sorry about this dumby question #2 of the day, I couldn't find
anything on mailing list about this.

How do I get the mailer.py tool to email diffs under windows? Obviously,
windows doesn't have /usr/bin/diff built in, how do I call out to
Araxis, Beyond Compare, Windiff or some other standard windows tool?

I see the line I need to change, but can't figure out how to get it
changed properly (yes, I am using the full path to Araxix Compare, but I
am not wed to that tool).

Ideas? Solutions?

Thanks

Casey

(wanting desperately to go back to easyUNIX land)

Casey Daniell
Configuration and Release Manager
Reynolds Web Solutions
www.reynoldswebsolutions.com <http://www.reynoldswebsolutions.com/>

Confidentiality Statement:
This message is confidential and may contain confidential information it
is intended only for the individual[s] named herein. If this message is
being sent from a member of the legal department, it may also be legally
privileged.   If you are not the named addressee[s] you must delete this
email immediately do not disseminate, distribute or copy.

Re: mailer.py diff in windows

Posted by Steve Williams <st...@kromestudios.com>.
Daniell, Casey B wrote:

> Ok, sorry about this dumby question #2 of the day, I couldn't find
> anything on mailing list about this.
>
> How do I get the mailer.py tool to email diffs under windows?
> Obviously, windows doesn't have /usr/bin/diff built in, how do I call
> out to Araxis, Beyond Compare, Windiff or some other standard windows
> tool?
>
> I see the line I need to change, but can't figure out how to get it
> changed properly (yes, I am using the full path to Araxix Compare, but
> I am not wed to that tool).

The easiest way is to comment out the diff_command line in order to use
Python's internal diff library.  We have just done the same thing here.

--
Sly

This message and its attachments may contain legally privileged or confidential information. This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you may not copy or deliver this message or its attachments to anyone. Rather, you should permanently delete this message and its attachments and kindly notify the sender by reply e-mail. Any content of this message and its attachments, which does not relate to the official business of the sending company must be taken not to have been sent or endorsed by the sending company or any of its related entities. No warranty is made that the e-mail or attachment(s) are free from computer virus or other defect.

Re: mailer.py diff in windows

Posted by Baz <br...@gmail.com>.
On 5/8/06, Daniell, Casey B <Ca...@reyrey.com> wrote:
> How do I get the mailer.py tool to email diffs under windows? Obviously,
> windows doesn't have /usr/bin/diff built in, how do I call out to Araxis,
> Beyond Compare, Windiff or some other standard windows tool?

Try using gnuwin32 diff
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html
it should be more compatible with what the script expects.

Re: mailer.py diff in windows

Posted by Nathan Kidd <na...@spicycrypto.ca>.
Daniell, Casey B wrote:
> How do I get the mailer.py tool to email diffs under windows? Obviously,
> windows doesn't have /usr/bin/diff built in, how do I call out to
> Araxis, Beyond Compare, Windiff or some other standard windows tool?
>
> I see the line I need to change, but can't figure out how to get it
> changed properly (yes, I am using the full path to Araxix Compare, but I
> am not wed to that tool).

IIRC mailer.py uses svn's own internal diff to show file differences,
and only uses the diff command to get property differences.  It's been a
while since it was in the source though.

 From my mailer.conf:

# On Windows, you can use the GNU DiffUtils package from
# http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/diffutils.htm
diff = C:\Progra~1\GnuWin32\bin\diff.exe -u -L %(label_from)s -L
%(label_to)s %(from)s %(to)s

-Nathan