Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by Harald Oehlmann <Ha...@Elmicron.de> on 2010/09/10 16:19:29 UTC

TCL Network Book and Rivet

Wojciech Kocjan wrote a book about network programming and TCL (I have
it, very beautiful).
I asked Wojciech if he knows Rivet. Here is the answer:

From: Wojciech Kocjan <wo...@kocjan.org>

Yes I know rivet - I actually helped with its predecessor, mod_dtcl.

We have tried to focus on only a subset of all network related subjects
and try to cover them in depth and providing practical examples.

>From web related areas, we only covered Tclhttpd - including CGI since
it is covered by Tclhttpd as well and packages like ncgi can be used in
both areas.
We mainly focused on solutions that are easy to deploy - taking tclhttpd
and starting it is straightforward, and we provided step by step
instructions for it.

There was just not enough place in the book for all web related
solutions. We also skipped AOLserver, which is a large part of Tcl
history and has provided a lot of improvements to Tcl itself.

Perhaps second edition of the book will include more on www - including
Wub/WubTk if they become more mature projects and Tcl 8.6 becomes stable.