Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Krantiā„¢ K K Parisa <kr...@gmail.com> on 2010/03/02 11:40:37 UTC

Simultaneous Writes to Index

Hi,

I am planning to development some application on which users could update
their account data after login, this is on top of the search facility users
have. the basic work flow is
1) user logs in
2) searches for some data
3) gets the results from solr index
4) save some of the search results into their repository
5) later on they may view their repository

for this, at step4 I am planning to write that into a separate solr index as
user may search within his repository and get the results, facets..etc.
So thinking to write such data/info to a separate solr index.

in this plan, how simultaneous writes to the user history index works. what
are the best practices in such scenarios of updating index at a time by
different users.

the other alternative is to store such user info into DB, and schedule
indexing process at regular intervals. But that wont make the system live
with user actions, as there would be some delay, users cant see the data
they saved in their repository until its indexed.

that is the reason I am planning to use SOLR xml post request to update the
index silently but how about multiple users writing on same index?

Best Regards,
Kranti K K Parisa