Posted to dev@madlib.apache.org by "FENG, Xixuan (Aaron)" <xi...@gmail.com> on 2017/08/02 18:37:25 UTC

First Report to the Board Seeking Feedback

Hi all,

PMC members created this following draft of the report to be submitted to
the Apache board by Aug. 9th. Please let us know any feedback.

-------------------------------------
- The Apache MADlib is a scalable, Big Data, SQL-driven machine
learning framework
  for Data Scientists.

## Issues:
- There are no issues requiring board attention at this time.

## Activity:
The bulk of the community activity is now focused on post-graduation tasks
of promoting MADlib to the ASF's TLP status. This includes working on code
base, website, wiki, and ASF infrastructure.

We expect to finalize the trademark transfer from Pivotal to ASF
within the month
of August.

Ed Espino volunteered to drive the first TLP release of MADlib 1.12
which is expected
to happen within the next couple of months.

## Health report:
The project has just graduated to the status of a TLP at ASF. The community
is
small but very engaged with robust mailing list traffic, interest in
doing frequent
releases and a bunch of new functionality being developed by contributors.
The
number of committers actively contributing to the code/documentation
has been steady
and remains at a level of half a dozen active committers each month.
Since the project
has just graduated we haven't had a chance to actively grow our PMC
roster, but it
must be noted that at this point all of our active committers are also
PMC members.
Of course, we will constantly be on a lookout for new community members to
be
invited either as committers or PMC.

## PMC changes:

- PMC has been just formalized as part of the graduation resolution
- Currently 13 PMC members.

## Committer base changes:

- Currently 13 committers.
- Last committer addition was Nandish Jayaram on 2016-09-08

## Releases:

- v1.11.0-incubating released on 2017-05-17
- v1.10.0-incubating released on 2017-03-10
- v1.9.1-incubating released on 2016-09-19

## Mailing list activity:

Mailing activity remains steady with 203 posts to dev@ and 23 posts to user@

## JIRA Statistics:

- 10 JIRA tickets created in the last month
- 3 JIRA tickets resolved in the last month

Aaron

Re: First Report to the Board Seeking Feedback

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
This looks good to me! Aaron, unless there's any feedback today I suggest
you go ahead and add this to the board's agenda as per:
    https://www.apache.org/dev/pmc.html#ensure-the-projects-quarterly-board-report-is-submitted

Thanks,
Roman.