Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Rich Shepard <rs...@appl-ecosys.com> on 2006/09/01 16:16:13 UTC

Deleting Empty BerkeleyDB Projects

  When I run 'svn list file:///usr2/svn-repos/' I am shown four databases,
only one of which actually contains the files for the project on which we're
working.

   I've read the book, the FAQ, and searched the mail list archives without
learning how I can delete the three unwanted projects from the repository.

   Is there a way to do this?

Rich

Re: Deleting Empty BerkeleyDB Projects

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Sep 1, 2006, at 21:37, Rich Shepard wrote:

>> It's all just files and directories. If you want a file or
>> directory to
>> longer appear in the HEAD of the repository, simply "svn delete"
>> the URL
>> to the directory.
>
>   Here's the situation:
>
> [rshepard@salmo ~]$ svn list file:///usr2/svn-repos/
> core_fzy_lib/
> core_fzy_libs/
> eikos/
> feia/
>
>   I want to delete the first two and the last one.
>
>> svn delete file:///usr2/svn-repos/unwanted1
>
>   This will delete a file in the svn-repos/ directory from which
> the working
> directory is derived. Apparently all I can do is 'rm -rf /usr2/svn-
> repos/
> and start from scratch, or dump the contents of eikos/ and start from
> scratch.

Ok, if by "delete" you mean "permanently delete so that disk space is
recovered and so that nobody can ever see these files again even if
they try really hard" then yes, you would need to svnadmin dump,
possibly svndumpfilter, and then svnadmin load into a new repository,
or as you say start over from scratch if you prefer.

Re: Deleting Empty BerkeleyDB Projects

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Sep 1, 2006, at 18:16, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   When I run 'svn list file:///usr2/svn-repos/' I am shown four
> databases,
> only one of which actually contains the files for the project on
> which we're
> working.
>
>   I've read the book, the FAQ, and searched the mail list archives
> without
> learning how I can delete the three unwanted projects from the
> repository.
>
>   Is there a way to do this?

There is no such thing as a "project" in Subversion. It's all just
files and directories. If you want a file or directory to longer
appear in the HEAD of the repository, simply "svn delete" the URL to
the directory.

svn delete file:///usr2/svn-repos/unwanted1

etc.

Of course, as Jing Zhau said, these "deleted" directories are still
available in the repository's history, so it won't help you if your
goal is to reclaim disk space or expunge sensitive information.