Posted to users@continuum.apache.org by ArneD <pu...@degenring.de> on 2006/06/19 18:17:08 UTC

ClearCase SCM and Continuum

Hi,

I am trying to use Maven and Continuum with ClearCase as the SCM provider.

In my pom I have the following entry:

----
  <scm>
    <connection>scm|clearcase|\\svxxxxx\ccviews\myproj.txt</connection>
  </scm>
----

My config spec file myproj.txt looks like this:

----
element * CHECKEDOUT
element * /main/LATEST
load /TEST/integration/components/MyProj
----

The clearcase-settings.xml looks like this:

----
<clearcase-settings>
    <viewstore>\\apxxxxx\ccviews</viewstore>
    <useVWSParameter>false</useVWSParameter>
</clearcase-settings>
----

1. When I add the project to Continuum, the server cannot find the pom.xml.
This is due to the fact that the pom.xml is not directly in the working
directory, but in a subdirectory. When I change the POM filename in the
Continuum build definition to TEST/integration/components/MyProj/pom.xml,
everything works fine. Is there a way to avoid this manual editing? Can
something be specified in the POM instead?

2. The situation is worse when working with multi-module projects: When
adding the parent POM to Continuum, also the submodules are automatically
added. The problem is that Continuum automatically changes the SCM URL to,
for example, scm:clearcase:\\svxxxxx\ccviews\myproj.txt/submodule1. That
does not work, of course. To be precise, the "cleartool mkview" call works,
but the "cleartool setcs" does not, because it cannot find the config spec.
After changing the SCM url manually (and also the POM location in the build
definition), the build still does not work. cleartool says that "A registry
entry already exists for <VIEW-NAME>". This is due to the fact that the
first mkview call was successful. So far, I was not able to resolve this.

Thanks for your help!

Arne
Sent from the Continuum - Users forum at Nabble.com.

Re: ClearCase SCM and Continuum

Posted by ArneD <pu...@degenring.de>.

Wim Deblauwe wrote:

>> > I found another workaround by building the super-module recursively:
>> > all sub-modules. Change the super module definition and remove the
>> > "--non-recursive" option from the build targets.
>> >

> Maybe we need an option in Continuum so the user can select if he wants
> his
> submodules as seperate modules (default now) or as just 1 project without
> the --non-recursive option?

Yes, I believe that would be helpful.

>> > By the way, do you know has anybody planned to implement the "checkout
>> by
>> > tag" functionality for ClearCase, so that the Maven release plugin can
>> be
>> > used?
>>
>> you can perhaps help Wim and us if you can provide this feature in
>> maven-scm.
>

> That would be great if you could do that. I started the ClearCase
> implementation because I hoped we would be moving to M2 soon, but it still
> has not happend. Currently, I can't spend any more time on the SCM
> implementation of ClearCase to do that, so if you could help out, it would
> be great!

I am not sure if I can do something here. I am currently helping a customer
in setting up a Maven-based build environment. (They use ClearCase at the
moment but think about moving to SVN which would make it obsolete.) My own
ClearCase knowledge is very limited, and I also do not have access to a
ClearCase environment when I'm not on-site with the customer. But I'll see
if I can do something. Can't promise though.

>> > And, at last, one suggestion. I believe the ClearCase integration would
>> be
>> > even better, if the SCM url would contain all necessary information
>> (like
>> > with CVS, SVN, ...). To define the config spec as an external file adds
>> > unnecessary complexity for the users. Anyway, thank you and all Maven /
>> > Continuum developers! You've done a great job. But for a broad
>> acceptance of
>> > Maven, I believe, a simplification of some issues would be helpful.
>>
>> All proposals are welcome.
>

> Yes, how would you do that in 1 line? Most config specs are at least 2
> lines, so that is why we need an external file. But if you can think of
> something, please do.

My idea was that maybe the config spec could be generated by the SCM plugin.
That would somehow anyway be necessary in order to make the "checkout from a
tag" functionality work.

But, as said, I currently only have limited ClearCase knowledge, and I am
not sure what can be specified in the config spec and how much flexibility
is needed there. Anyway, the trivial cases I've seen so far, were mostly the
same two lines that are needed for checking out the main trunk:

element * CHECKEDOUT
element * /main/LATEST

Maybe a config spec can generated for most cases (for checking out from the
main trunk, from branches and from tags). The SCM url could look similiar to
a SVN SCM url in that case. Optionally a reference to ones own config spec
could be specified with a SCM url similiar to the current ClearCase SCM url.

Regards,

Posted by Wim Deblauwe <wi...@gmail.com>.

> > I found another workaround by building the super-module recursively:
> > all sub-modules. Change the super module definition and remove the
> > "--non-recursive" option from the build targets.

Maybe we need an option in Continuum so the user can select if he wants his
submodules as seperate modules (default now) or as just 1 project without
the --non-recursive option?

> > By the way, do you know has anybody planned to implement the "checkout
> by
> > tag" functionality for ClearCase, so that the Maven release plugin can
> be
> > used?
>
> you can perhaps help Wim and us if you can provide this feature in
> maven-scm.

That would be great if you could do that. I started the ClearCase
implementation because I hoped we would be moving to M2 soon, but it still
has not happend. Currently, I can't spend any more time on the SCM
implementation of ClearCase to do that, so if you could help out, it would
be great!

> > And, at last, one suggestion. I believe the ClearCase integration would
> be
> > even better, if the SCM url would contain all necessary information
> (like
> > with CVS, SVN, ...). To define the config spec as an external file adds
> > unnecessary complexity for the users. Anyway, thank you and all Maven /
> > Continuum developers! You've done a great job. But for a broad
> acceptance of
> > Maven, I believe, a simplification of some issues would be helpful.
>
> All proposals are welcome.

Yes, how would you do that in 1 line? Most config specs are at least 2
lines, so that is why we need an external file. But if you can think of
something, please do.

regards,

Wim

Re: ClearCase SCM and Continuum

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.
ArneD a écrit :
> Thank you, Wim!
>

> Wim Deblauwe wrote:
>> 1) This is the way that ClearCase works, there is nothing I know we can do
>> about it.
>>

> Maybe something could be changed in Continuum and the POM schema, so that
> the POM location relative to the SCM checkout directory could be specified
> within the POM.
>

>> 2) I guess the workaround here would be to add the submodules
>> individually.
>> You can remove the view that was created via cleartool or from the
>> clearcase
>> home base.
>>

> I found another workaround by building the super-module recursively: Delete
> all sub-modules. Change the super module definition and remove the
> "--non-recursive" option from the build targets.
>

> By the way, do you know has anybody planned to implement the "checkout by
> tag" functionality for ClearCase, so that the Maven release plugin can be
> used?

you can perhaps help Wim and us if you can provide this feature in maven-scm.

> And, at last, one suggestion. I believe the ClearCase integration would be
> even better, if the SCM url would contain all necessary information (like
> with CVS, SVN, ...). To define the config spec as an external file adds
> unnecessary complexity for the users. Anyway, thank you and all Maven /
> Continuum developers! You've done a great job. But for a broad acceptance of
> Maven, I believe, a simplification of some issues would be helpful.

All proposals are welcome.

Subscribe to Maven-scm developers list if you want to help us.

Emmanuel

Re: ClearCase SCM and Continuum

Posted by ArneD <pu...@degenring.de>.
Thank you, Wim!