Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Eric Duesterhaus <ed...@knapheide.com> on 2015/11/12 16:42:45 UTC

Troubleshooting a strange issue with missing scheme, and errored requests.

Hi Again Everyone!

I'm having a strange issue that I'm not quite sure how to troubleshoot.  About 2% of my requests are failing.

Each time a request fails it increments the count in traffic_logstats under URL Schemes for "none" or "other"
URL Schemes                            Count    Percent       Bytes    Percent
HTTP (port 80)                             7      0.01%      4.22KB      0.00%
HTTPS (port 443)                     121,831     98.05%      1.23GB    100.00%
none                                   1,102      0.89%      0.00KB      0.00%
other                                  1,316      1.06%      0.00KB      0.00%

Also in traffic_logstats, it shows something... odd:

Origin Server                               Hits         Misses         Errors
originserver.example.com                     0        121,854              0
dnsnamethatpointstoATS.example.com           0              7          1,316

I have the following rules in remap.config:
#redirect to HTTPS
redirect        http://dnsnamethatpointstoATS.example.com                         https://dnsnamethatpointstoATS.example.com
#remap rules to origin server
map             https://dnsnamethatpointstoATS.example.com/SomeApplication        https://originserver.example.com/SomeApplication
reverse_map     https://originserver.example.com/SomeApplication                  https://dnsnamethatpointstoATS.example.com/SomeApplication
map             https://dnsnamethatpointstoATS.example.com/                       https://originserver.example.com/
reverse_map     https://originserver.example.com/                                 https://dnsnamethatpointstoATS.example.com/

The number of errors at the beginning of the logstats output correlates to the count of "other" errors with missing URL schema.  I'm not sure why some requests would be using "dnsnamethatpointstoATS.example.com" as the origin server, let alone with a Scheme of "other".

I get two types of errors in squid.blog when this happens:

1447283397.297 86400734 <ip address> ERROR_UNKNOWN(90)/000 0 GET dnsnamethatpointstoATS.example.com/SomeApplication/stuff - EMPTY/- -
1447283401.484 86400288 <ip address> ERROR_UNKNOWN(90)/000 0 - / - EMPTY/- -

Requests that appear to be successful look like this in the squid.blog:
1447283475.486 96 <ip address> TCP_MISS/200 1178 GET https://originserver.example.com/SomeApplication/stuff - DIRECT/originserver.example.com application/json

I can't help but think I've done something incredibly wrong or dumb in my remap.config.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?  I'm not quite sure what to do next for troubleshooting, as I'm super-green to ATS.  Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what I should look at next, or focus my efforts on investigating?

Eric Duesterhaus

Re: Troubleshooting a strange issue with missing scheme, and errored requests.

Posted by Bryan Call <bc...@apache.org>.
It is most likely related to this issue:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-1935

I had a hard time reproducing it in June and haven't had time since to look
at it.

-Bryan