Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Andrew Geery <Ge...@doc.state.sc.us> on 2002/04/22 18:08:58 UTC

Problems building Apache 2.0.35 on AIX 5.1L

I'm having trouble building Apache on AIX 5.1.0.0L.

I'm using the gnu compiler (2.9-aix43-010414) with the
aix provided linker. The 64-bit kernel is enabled.

The initial problem I ran into was that Apache was not creating
shared libraries. The reason for this is that the config files

$APACHE_ROOT/srclib/apr/build/ltconfig
$APACHE_ROOT/srclib/apr-util/xml/expat/conftools/ltconfig

are checking for aix 3 and aix 4, but not aix 5.

To get around this problem, I modified the two files above so
that whatever was done for aix 4 was also done for aix 5. This
change enabled $APACHE_HOME/configure to determine that the linker
supports shared libraries and that shared libraries should be
built.

After making these changes, make and make install both
execute without errors. However, running apachectl start causes
Apache to dump core because of a segmentation fault.

I'm thinking that this problem is related to the linker because
if shared libraries are not built (i.e. I don't modify the
ltconfig files above), Apache runs fine.

I want to run Apache with the mod_jk module, so I need to get the
shared library support working.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
Andrew