Posted to user@ant.apache.org by shreedhar natarajan <sh...@ami.com> on 2006/01/11 01:44:27 UTC

Property not resolving

Hi all,

I have a strange problem.

I have a filelist defined in say filelist.xml and I have a main build.xml that imports this filelist.xml.
filelist refers to 2 properties. for eg.

<filelist
    id="bb_db" dir="${prop1}"
    files="${prop1}\ab.java
		${prop2}\dc.java
</filelist>

The property prop1 is defined in build.xml while prop2 I read from a property file during an execution of a target in build.xml. I use the above filelist in my custom task that too in the build.xml. When invoking the custom task, prop1 is resolving to its value while prop2 does not seem to resolve. Am i missing something here ?

Thanks

Best rgds
Shreedhar

Re: Property not resolving

Posted by Clifton Craig <cc...@gbg.com>.
On Tuesday 10 January 2006 7:44 pm, shreedhar natarajan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a strange problem.
>
> I have a filelist defined in say filelist.xml and I have a main build.xml
> that imports this filelist.xml. filelist refers to 2 properties. for eg.
>
> <filelist
>     id="bb_db" dir="${prop1}"
>     files="${prop1}\ab.java
> 		${prop2}\dc.java
> </filelist>
>
> The property prop1 is defined in build.xml while prop2 I read from a
> property file during an execution of a target in build.xml. I use the above
> filelist in my custom task that too in the build.xml. When invoking the
> custom task, prop1 is resolving to its value while prop2 does not seem to
> resolve. Am i missing something here ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Best rgds
> Shreedhar

I'm not sure but it could be an order of operations thing here. If the
filelist is defined outside of any target it could be trying to expand prop2
before the target where it is defined is executed. I would suggest defining
the filelist in the target where prop2 is defined or in another target
executed after the target defining prop2. You didn't say but I'm guessing
that prop1 is defined outside of any target. Then again I could be completely
wrong on this. Those properties might get defined when the filelist is
instantiated (used or referenced in the build).  In that case I would make
sure prop2 is defined before the filelist is instantiated.
--
Clifton C. Craig, Software Engineer
Intelligent Computer Systems -  A Division of GBG