Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org> on 2003/01/29 03:06:15 UTC

nice

http://rasmussen.homeip.net:8088/fileblog/blog/computers/java/culture#jcp_mystery

-Andy

RE: nice

Posted by Tom Copeland <to...@infoether.com>.
http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/g/godwin_s_law.html

Tom

Re: nice

Posted by Micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
I think the next improvement on who decides should mention guns, anthrax, etc.?

At 10:08 AM 1/29/03 -0500, you wrote:
>Andrew C. Oliver wrote:
>>"Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes
>>decide everything."
>>--Josef Stalin
>
>Actually, the latest update to this is, "The court that decides whether to
>recount the votes... decides everything."
>
>--
>Serge Knystautas
>President
>Lokitech >> software . strategy . design >> http://www.lokitech.com
>p. 301.656.5501
>e. sergek@lokitech.com

LEGAL NOTICE

you

Re: nice

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.

Re: nice

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

Re: nice

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Robert Simmons wrote:
> Welcome to real life business. In the real world, not everything goes your
> way. You get to choose between a mass of "political bullshit" and having no
> choice at all.

you have a choice: open source software. And it's a good choice for real
life business, too.

cheers :D

- Leo

Re: nice

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
Jon Scott Stevens wrote:

> Real life business shouldn't be bullshit. I'm not going to buy into that. It
> is people like you who opt into the flawed choices instead of speaking up
> that allow the flawed choices to continue on longer than they should.

Yay! +1

Cluetrain might be the naive interpretation of that, but still it's a
good way to deal with the so-called 'real-life' without becoming a cynic.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: nice

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.
Jon Scott Stevens wrote:
(...)
> Real life business shouldn't be bullshit. I'm not going to buy into that. It
> is people like you who opt into the flawed choices instead of speaking up
> that allow the flawed choices to continue on longer than they should.

IMO, the closeness of the JCP process brings most of the "bullshitness"
of it.

Even having open (to read, not to post) lists for the different groups
would change a lot of the JCP procedures and results, by making obvious
"dark" political moves attackable from the outside.

Regards,
      Santiago

> -jon

Re: nice

Posted by ac...@apache.org.
> There is a JCP mail list, but because of various non-disclosure
> agreements made by the ASF, it's limited to ASF members, who are bound
> by the same agreements.  If there is sufficient interest in an open JCP
> discussion list, I'm sure we can set that up.

+1 - especially if a goal of it is to foster change within the JCP and
promote an open model for the JCP and Java.

-Andy

> geir
>
> --
> Geir Magnusson Jr                                   203-956-2604(w)
> Adeptra, Inc.                                       203-247-1713(m)
> geirm@adeptra.com

Re: nice

Posted by ac...@apache.org.
Right but he's not AFAIK working there now and potentially exposed to
NDA-tainted individuals :-)

-Andy
Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
On 30/1/03 13:26 "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net> wrote:

> On Wednesday, January 29, 2003, at 10:03 AM, acoliver@apache.org wrote:
>
>> Yeah, for instance, I was once interviewed for a contract to hire gig at
>> Microsoft.  (This was circa '97 prior to my involvment in Java).  Had I sold
>> my soul, would I still be able to be a member of Apache?
>
> In my brief association with the ASF, I have never heard of a person
> being discriminated against because of their employer.

Let's not forget that our CHAIRMAN (Greg Stein) worked for quite an
extensive period at Microsoft... And he's one of the nicest guys I've met in
my entire life:

>From <http://www.lyra.org/greg/>:

> Between 1996 and 1998, Mr. Stein worked at Microsoft as a Development Manager,
> in the Commerce Server and Site Server groups. He was also a co-founder and
> the Corporate Technologist of eShop, one of the first electronic commerce
> software companies, before its acquisition by Microsoft in 1996.

    Pier

Re: JCP Process [Was nice ;-)]

Posted by ac...@apache.org.
Extemely well said.

Please get well soon my friend!  :-)

-Andy
Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

(...) agreed

> Yes - indeed.  The idea is to have more public participation (vote early
> and often, as they say in Chicago :) in the process w/o the EG having to
> expand to include only the mildly interested, and w/o having constraints
> like an NDA placed on the mildly interested participants.

It would bring global health to the process, I would say, even if the
public participation was restricted to voice and lobbying from the
outside, with no vote in the process.

> One things I'll say in their defense of general spec lead behavior is
> that a JSR is a *lot* of work - I have garnered great respect in general
> for those leading JSR's to successful conclusions, so it's hard to want
> to dictate a project management style...

I agree, and it is precisely the kind of work that I'm very bad at doing
(except maybe for detecting incoherent documents, or things like this),
so I would not take this role eagerly. I also respect them a lot.

But a lot of the work is political, making "minimum agreements",
unblocking issues, etc. Judicious use of open lists to help promote
general approaches to problems, to "test the water", or to try to get
feedback or pressure to pass political blockings could *ease* it, rather
than the opposite. (I'm quite sure that Stefano, for instance, would
know how to manage a JSR this way :-)

Regards,
      Santiago

Re: JCP Process [Was nice ;-)]

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> On Thursday, January 30, 2003, at 10:30 AM, Santiago Gala wrote:
>
> Agreed, good supporting feedback, and this is something that is a
> current topic of interest in the JCP EC.  We (the members of the EC,
> the ASF being a member) are interested in encouraging openness in the
> process from the start via support for open mail lists, etc, as well as
> more public reviews.  However, it's still up to the JSR leads.  I guess
> one thing I can do as the EC rep is ensure that for every new JSR that
> comes up for a vote for acceptance to continue, I lobby the spec lead /
> EG to make it as open as possible.

Make the open JSR's open. ie) Give me a list of the JSRs which do have
open mail lists and public reviews etc. Especially public reviews in which
the public discuss, not just write-only emails.

Cultivating an image that the ASF, and yourself on behalf of the ASF, are
doing their best to open-up the JCP seems like a good thing.

> > Another *constructive* suggestion could be having a different role,
> > people that would not be forced to sign a NDA, and thus could only be
> > exposed to "public domain" information, but who could be involved in
> > the process restricted to this. This would enforce even more the need
> > of regular unrestricted feed back. These people could act as "hubs"
> > between public lists and the EG.
>
> Yes - indeed.  The idea is to have more public participation (vote
> early and often, as they say in Chicago :) in the process w/o the EG
> having to expand to include only the mildly interested, and w/o having
> constraints like an NDA placed on the mildly interested participants.
>
> One things I'll say in their defense of general spec lead behavior is
> that a JSR is a *lot* of work - I have garnered great respect in
> general for those leading JSR's to successful conclusions, so it's hard
> to want to dictate a project management style...

Good point. Open-ness does lead to mayhem.

Hen

Re: JCP Process [Was nice ;-)]

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On Thursday, January 30, 2003, at 10:30 AM, Santiago Gala wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
> (...)
>> It's the compromise we/I willingly make to be able to work inside the
>> process to help shape it the way we/I think it should be shaped.  The
>> only alternative is to try to start another standards body, but I
>> think you will find that, like the other standards bodies, that NDA's
>> will be a part of the process if you want serious players to
>> participate.  One of the big issues surrounding standards is the
>> inclusion/discussion of proprietary information offered by
>> participating entities (companies).  Whether or not you like the
>> existence of commercial entities in the process, they are there.
>
> OK, I'll buy the previous paragraph. But that the participants do sign
> a NDA does not mean that the group is silent throughout the process,
> as it often happens with current JSRs. While I can understand that
> some of the discussions should remain secret, I think that partial
> agreements (or blocked areas), roadmaps, current work, etc. could and
> should be communicated, and also feedback asked more frequently. At a
> bare minimum, a JSR should publish something (be it a status report,
> demo, API proposal, open issue list, recount of activity,...) at least
> every three months, and use this information to gather feedback from
> the outside via a public discussion list.

Agreed, good supporting feedback, and this is something that is a
current topic of interest in the JCP EC.  We (the members of the EC,
the ASF being a member) are interested in encouraging openness in the
process from the start via support for open mail lists, etc, as well as
more public reviews.  However, it's still up to the JSR leads.  I guess
one thing I can do as the EC rep is ensure that for every new JSR that
comes up for a vote for acceptance to continue, I lobby the spec lead /
EG to make it as open as possible.

> I think the spirit is something along these lines, with the public
> draft phase, etc., but I think the process can be (and sometimes is)
> seriously abused. I also think that the temporal granularity of the
> process was meant to be much smaller than it is becoming, so the
> concerns I express do apply more and more.

Yes - you are right.

JCP Process [Was nice ;-)]

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.

(...)

Re: nice

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On Wednesday, January 29, 2003, at 10:03 AM, acoliver@apache.org wrote:

> Yeah, for instance, I was once interviewed for a contract to hire gig
> at
> Microsoft.  (This was circa '97 prior to my involvment in Java).  Had
> I sold
> my soul, would I still be able to be a member of Apache?

In my brief association with the ASF, I have never heard of a person
being discriminated against because of their employer.

[SNIP]

> Or since the JCP seeks to create a spec for everything, what if I work
> for
> some other company which say puts out anything to do with "Micro"
> devices
> (pdas, etc) or portals.  Am I a potential object of litigation just
> through
> my association with Apache and Apache's association with the JCP?

In the US, you are always a potential litigation target, no matter who
you work for, or what you do.

> I'd sure feel a lot less fear, uncertainty and doubt if all my fellow
> apache
> members weren't under NDAs carrying around tainted knowledge which is
> proprietary of Sun. It seems an open process would sure make the JCP  a
> whole lot more appealing.

It's the compromise we/I willingly make to be able to work inside the
process to help shape it the way we/I think it should be shaped.  The
only alternative is to try to start another standards body, but I think
you will find that, like the other standards bodies, that NDA's will be
a part of the process if you want serious players to participate.  One
of the big issues surrounding standards is the inclusion/discussion of
proprietary information offered by participating entities (companies).
Whether or not you like the existence of commercial entities in the
process, they are there.

geir

> But then.... I'm weird like that.
>
> -Andy

Adeptra, Inc.                                       203-247-1713(m)
geirm@adeptra.com

Re: nice

Posted by ac...@apache.org.
Yeah, for instance, I was once interviewed for a contract to hire gig at
Microsoft.  (This was circa '97 prior to my involvment in Java).  Had I sold
my soul, would I still be able to be a member of Apache?

While I do not subscribe to the jcp ot apache det org mailing list due to
the NDA contractual obligations surrounding it (hear no evil, see no evil,
and therefore speak no evil), what if Jon said "Hi Andy, fellow member, here
is the scoop on whats going on with JSR-1234" or moreover what if he didn't?
Maybe I'm tainted by merely speaking (electronically) with Jon due to his
indemic taint of JCPness.  So then I go back to work at M$ and start hacking
on I dunno ASP or something.   Sun gets wind of it and says "HEY ASP is
stealing our stuff (though we stole it from them)"

Re: nice

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@hisitech.com>.
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
(...)
> What else would you like to know?  What are your specific problems?  is
> there a specific technology/spec that you are interested in
> participating in?  have you ever interacted with the expert group of a
> JSR via their interest list or during a public, community review?  I
> started my participation by just sending comments to the servlet EG, and
> I found them extremely responsive, far more responsive that I would have
> expected for a random comment from the ether.  Of course, this differs
> from EG to EG, just like different communities differ on OSS projects.

How did you get a base for your comments? I imagine you were commenting
on, let's say, Servlet2.2 when they were working on Servlet2.3, or
something similar, maybe a public draft.

But when a group gets formed in Jan-2002
(http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=168), and there is no single line
of output from it till
(http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?PlutoProposal), Jan 2003,
I don't see a way to send a meaningful comment.Comment on what?

When a Draft is published, I expect a response like "It's too late to
make major changes now, we'll consider for release 2" to any serious
comment.

You can see what I meant with my previous post about closeness of the
process.

(...)

> geir

Re: nice

Posted by ac...@apache.org.
And they would not be able to collaborate with their fellow members who are
not in the expert group due to NDAs.

-Andy
Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 2003/1/29 10:26 AM, "Henri Yandell" <ba...@generationjava.com> wrote:

> So the solution for committers who would like to be involved in the JCP is
> to hand around their announce list and website, when a particular new JSR
> is announced they can go volunteer. If successful, then they would do the
> agreement thing and be an ASF representative?
>
> Hen

Correct.

-jon

Re: nice

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Re: nice

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.

Re: nice

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.
On Wednesday, January 29, 2003, at 09:38 AM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> We have 'infiltrated' it.  The ASF is a member of the J2SE/J2EE
>> executive committee (I am the current representative), and we have
>> many
>> members (and non-members) participating in various JSRs.
>
> Yeah I know. Thus my questions as to whether Apache/you should/could be
> saying anything against the negative views of the JCP.

Of course we/I can/will.  It's no secret that Apache had significant
problems with the managing process of the JCP, and much effort was
invested to improve it.  If you remember, Jason Hunter was on stage at
last year's JavaOne's announcement of the changes.

While there are still plenty of valid issues that people have with the
JCP as a whole, or JSRs in specific, the intent of the ASF's
participation is to be a constructive advocate of the way we think that
standards and software should be developed.  We are just one vote of
many - we can say our piece, lobby and try to convince others, support
our representatives on JSRs, but at the end of the day, we are just one
voice.

>> FYI - Through the significant efforts of Jason Hunter, the previous
>> JCP
>> rep, and others (Chuck Murko, for example), the ASF was instrumental
>> in
>> fostering change in the JCP process, and will continue to do so.
>
> This is about all I do hear regarding ASF/JCP.

What else would you like to know?  What are your specific problems?  is
there a specific technology/spec that you are interested in
participating in?  have you ever interacted with the expert group of a
JSR via their interest list or during a public, community review?  I
started my participation by just sending comments to the servlet EG,
and I found them extremely responsive, far more responsive that I would
have expected for a random comment from the ether.  Of course, this
differs from EG to EG, just like different communities differ on OSS
projects.

>> There is a JCP mail list, but because of various non-disclosure
>> agreements made by the ASF, it's limited to ASF members, who are bound
>> by the same agreements.  If there is sufficient interest in an open
>> JCP
>> discussion list, I'm sure we can set that up.
>
> Just the FAQs. Like, does Apache have a non-profit membership? So that
> anyone who is an ASF member is able to be on multiple JSRs, or are you
> all
> members via your companies?

The ASF is a member.  Any ASF member is covered by that agreement, and
can thus, if they choose, represent the ASF on the EG if the EG
accepts.  IIRC, non-members can also represent the ASF on an expert
group, but it does require JCP agreements to be signed.

Remember, it's up to the expert group to accept members for
participation.  You are free to represent your company, if you choose.

> As a member through Apache, does that cause any legal contractual
> issues
> with employers?

That depends upon your employment agreement/contract with your employer.

geir

Adeptra, Inc.                                       203-247-1713(m)
geirm@adeptra.com

Re: nice

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Re: nice

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>.

Re: nice

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Re: nice

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.
> Real life business shouldn't be bullshit. I'm not going to buy into that. It
> is people like you who opt into the flawed choices instead of speaking up
> that allow the flawed choices to continue on longer than they should.
>
> -jon

+1 Well said Jon.

Re: nice

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
on 2003/1/28 9:50 PM, "Robert Simmons" <de...@arcor.de> wrote:

> Welcome to real life business. In the real world, not everything goes your
> way. You get to choose between a mass of "political bullshit" and having no
> choice at all. I opt for choice even if the choice is flawed. You can put
> your future in the hands of Microsoft if you want. Problem is that you are
> trusting them in a way they shouldn't be trusted. You gain the lack of
> "political bullshit" but loose the future.As long as Sun continues to respect
> the voting of the JCP, I will continue to support the JCP.

Fact of the matter is that they don't unless you bitch loudly enough that
they are disrespecting the purpose of the JCP. But then again, you probably
don't see all the discussion that goes on the Servlet API and the other JSR
that I'm on.

If it wasn't for people like myself, Pier, Jason Hunter other ASF members
(and other OSS people), the JCP would be producing specifications that we
would never be able to implement here.

What good is that? How is that any different than what M$ does?

Real life business shouldn't be bullshit. I'm not going to buy into that. It
is people like you who opt into the flawed choices instead of speaking up
that allow the flawed choices to continue on longer than they should.

-jon

--
StudioZ.tv /\ Bar/Nightclub/Entertainment
314 11th Street @ Folsom /\ San Francisco

Re: nice

RE: nice

Posted by Tom Copeland <to...@infoether.com>.
> <snip>
> Tell that to the Ruby developer working on the next big thing.

Hey, I resemble that remark!  :-)

Tom

Re: nice

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
To continue having fun replying to myself:

This mail list seems to be akin to a JCP-announce list. It seems to be
Harold Ogle sending out announcements that new documents are available at
the JCP. Useful, but not really what I was asking Robert to show existence
of.

Hen

Re: nice

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Re: nice

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Re: nice

Posted by Robert Simmons <de...@arcor.de>.

> But who speaks for JCP?

Those who chose to be involved.

> While you offer a nice brochure view of the JCP, the other side is that
> the JCP is a large company dominated organisation which conducts its
> business behind closed doors and has a high cost to effective entry.

High cost ? Last I checked you could be a voting member for a nominal fee.
You could be on a single expert comittee for free. Any fees are the bare
minimum for the administration of the site and services in my opinon.

Source: http://www.jcp.org/en/participation/membership
commercial entities: $5000
educational/non-profit organizations: $2000
individuals: $0
existing licensees: $0

If your company or institution cannot afford those fees than they have bigger
problems to deal with.

> An individual can join one project without having to pay ridiculous sums
> [for the individual] and the individual cannot join a project which is to
> do with their work for their company [due to an effective NDA in the
> registration].

That is the fault of the company, not the JCP. If the company doesnt want you
giving out their intellectual property than you probably wont be able to
submit it to the JCP. The jcp intellectual rights rules are there because if
some bozo joined and submitted intellectual property from microsoft for
example, the JCP could get sued for releasing it in a JSR. The way it is, you
give the JCP rights to the info. In which case only people microsoft can sue
are the errant employees.

> Projects appear to stagnate in the JCP and others appear to fast track
> through due to Java?Sun?JCP's marketing needs.

Thats the bitch of a democracy. Things are voted on in the JCP. If oyu loose
the vote *shrug* campaign harder next time.

> Do the JCP have official PR people to show why the JCP is not the dark
> picture it is often portrayed as?

Hmm never seen it protrayed that way. Im sure some have that opinion but it
isnt common enough to qualify as "often".

> Or is it a loose federation. In which
> case, should the ASF be picking up those threads as a spokeperson for the
> JCP

Hmm, that would be tough. Sort of like speaking for the entire United
Nations. Dissenters are abounds.

> and explaining just why the ASF and Doug Lea are able to stop the huge
> corporates from turning Java into some system designed to make them money
> and not a better future for Java.

*Yanks the soapbox out from under his feet.* Your view on things is
rediculously naive. If you think one person or one company can "stop the huge
coporates" than you need a reality check. The thing that stops them is
popular opinion. If they try to do somethign lame, he JCP smacks them in the
teeth for it. Life is grand. The JCP does have its issues but they are of a
different nature than you percieve. The drive to open source the JDK is being
driven not by an attempt to stop the corporations but by a growing belief
that Sun doesnt have the resources needed to handle all of the changes in
java.

> To those of us who have not seen the insides of the JCP, it looks like a
> large, probably political and argumentative body of powerful entities.

So join it. Whats stopping you?

> While it may be a good thing compared to Microsoft's dictatorship, it's
> almost definitely less efficient, and not the open system it should be.

Yes, and Saddam Hussein has a more efficient government than the USA. When he
wants somethign done it gets done. Great isnt it ? No putting up with
squabbling representatives or bickering debates. No one able to criticise
your work and beat it to a pulp. Lets all move to Iraq.

Microsoft does what it wants and when it wants. (notice the period) When .NET
is 2 years old and starts to show the defects and missing features we have
seen in the JDK, microsoft will fix it when they get good and damn well ready
to. Further, if you think they arent doing .NET to dive their sales of
windows than we will have to upgrade you from naive to stupid. Microsoft has
shown *REPEATEDLY* to be an unethical company that believes it is above the
law. There was a rumor going around recently when the government suddenly put
kid gloves on after the verdict against microsoft. The rumor was somethign to
the effect that microsoft had a behind the doors word with DOD and the
pentagon and the rest of the government threatening to revoke all of their
windows licenses if they tried to break up the company. Now I dont know if
that is true, but I wouldnt put it past them.

You have a choice. Go to .NET and leave your business, economic and personal
future to your trust in Microsoft. Alternatively you could stick with an

Re: nice

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
But who speaks for JCP?

While you offer a nice brochure view of the JCP, the other side is that
the JCP is a large company dominated organisation which conducts its
business behind closed doors and has a high cost to effective entry.

An individual can join one project without having to pay ridiculous sums
[for the individual] and the individual cannot join a project which is to
do with their work for their company [due to an effective NDA in the
registration].

Projects appear to stagnate in the JCP and others appear to fast track
through due to Java?Sun?JCP's marketing needs.

Do the JCP have official PR people to show why the JCP is not the dark
picture it is often portrayed as? Or is it a loose federation. In which
case, should the ASF be picking up those threads as a spokeperson for the
JCP and explaining just why the ASF and Doug Lea are able to stop the huge

Re: nice

Re: nice

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.
Interesting points.