Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Kris Schneider <kr...@dotech.com> on 2004/06/10 16:31:07 UTC

Re: [OT] getting a random number with JSTL?

Not directly. If you're using JSP 2.0, you can create an EL function to proxy
access to java.util.Random:

<%@ taglib prefix="rand" uri="http://dotech.com/random" %>
<jsp:useBean id="random" class="java.util.Random"/>
${rand:nextInt(random, 10)}
${rand:nextDouble(random)}

Another approach would be to create a JavaBean to proxy access to Random:

<%@ taglib prefix="c" uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/core" %>
<jsp:useBean id="random" class="com.dotech.RandomBean"/>
<c:set target="${random}" property="maxInt" value="10"/>
<c:out value="${random.nextInt}"/>

Or, since this is an MVC framework list, you could generate the random number in
a Filter or an Action and set it as a request attribute so that it's available
to the JSP.

--
Kris Schneider <ma...@dotech.com>
D.O.Tech       <http://www.dotech.com/>