Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net> on 2005/04/08 14:26:13 UTC

Re: New "svn version" command [was: Subversion 1.2.0 ReleaseCandidate 1 released.]

Brian W. Fitzpatrick wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 13:49 +0100, Julian Foad wrote:
>> Branko Čibej wrote:
>>>
>>> Could you do that please? I'll have my hands full with other things for
>>> the next several days, and won't have time to test the change, but I
>>> don't want to extend the 1.2 release schedule.
>>>
>>> Consider this a +1 from me for removing "svn version" from both trunk
>>> and 1.2 branch.
>>
>> Done in r14037, and proposed for back-port to 1.2.0.  Please test and
>> vote!
>
> Oy.  Is it really necessary to rip this completely out?  I think it's
> useful, especially if we, as Ben Reser pointed out, implement
>
> svn version URL
>
> In addition, I saw no consensus on removing it.  Aside from Julian and
> Branko, I saw no other +1's on ripping it out (Although you surmised
> that greg and maxb would).  Can't we just:
>
> 1. Fix the bug where 'svn version foo' acts like 'svn help foo'
> 2. Add 'version' to the 'svn help' output
>
> and then later we can implement 'svn version URL' at our leisure.
>
> I'm -0.9 on removing it.

Since I'm being speculated upon, I guess I should offer my opinion :-)

IMO, this situation is identical to the "svn:keywords canonicalization" one.
We have a new feature, which is broken.
Reverting it is an improvement over not reverting it, but fixing it would be
an improvement over both.

The issue is, the fix would require new ra_svn and ra_dav methods. Which is
a fairly big thing to backport.
Thoughts?

Max.

Re: New "svn version" command [was: Subversion 1.2.0 ReleaseCandidate 1 released.]

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
John Peacock wrote:
> Max Bowsher wrote:
>> IMO, this situation is identical to the "svn:keywords canonicalization"
>> one.
>> We have a new feature, which is broken.
>> Reverting it is an improvement over not reverting it, but fixing it
>> would be an improvement over both.
>
> That actually brings up something that I was wondering.  The original
> canonicalization patch was reverted in trunk and then on 1.2.x
> (unfortunately on the day the listserv went deaf), before there was a
> chance to discuss fixes.  Is this feature now dead for 1.2.0 or can the
> reversion be reverted (since the feature was originally accepted for
> 1.2.0)?

I don't know. Personally, I don't think it's of sufficient urgency to get
into 1.2.
If several people think otherwise, then it could go in.

Max.

Re: New "svn version" command [was: Subversion 1.2.0 ReleaseCandidate 1 released.]

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.
Max Bowsher wrote:
> IMO, this situation is identical to the "svn:keywords canonicalization"
> one.
> We have a new feature, which is broken.
> Reverting it is an improvement over not reverting it, but fixing it
> would be an improvement over both.

That actually brings up something that I was wondering.  The original
canonicalization patch was reverted in trunk and then on 1.2.x
(unfortunately on the day the listserv went deaf), before there was a
chance to discuss fixes.  Is this feature now dead for 1.2.0 or can the
reversion be reverted (since the feature was originally accepted for 1.2.0)?

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group