Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Ben Dotte <be...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/07 23:52:02 UTC

[ANN] tapestry-profiler

Something we (at Widen) have found extremely useful is the ability to do
some quick-and-dirty profiling of our production Tapestry applications when
performance problems are actually happening. We wanted to make this tool
available to multiple internal applications and decided to open-source it
as well:

https://github.com/bdotte/tapestry-profiler

So why tie a profiler to Tapestry? The fact that pages are always in a
"pages" package, and that components are always in a "components" package
makes organizing the data much easier. The tool will actually report time
spent in each page separately (and spent in each job if you are using
Quartz).

One problem I typically have with profilers is that the stack traces for
web applications get so large, it becomes a chore to sift through it all.
tapestry-profiler lets you define your base application package, and
ignores everything else in the results (by default).

Hopefully this will be useful to others; we have not seen any noticeable
overhead and we have used it frequently on large, busy production instances
to track down issues that always seemed to elude us in the past.

Comments or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
Ben

Re: [ANN] tapestry-profiler

Posted by Ben Dotte <be...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Massimo, I hope it proves useful. We have close to 200 instances of
various flavors of the same T4/T5 app with this profiler. One of the bigger
ones has a db close to 400GB (data only, probably many TB of images/video
as well). I'm not sure on the concurrency levels; these are private apps
but there hundreds of pages and around 100 different quartz jobs on each
instance. Our scalability challenges tend to be in the area of managing
lots of data, rather than heavy concurrent usage, but I would expect the
profiler should be general-purpose enough to handle both cases.

Re: [ANN] tapestry-profiler

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.