Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Ryan Ackley <sa...@cfl.rr.com> on 2004/08/24 15:56:54 UTC

Textmining.org IS NOT POI (was Re: worddoucments search)

Go to http://www.textmining.org for a platform independent library to
extract text from Word documents. I wrote 99.99% of the Word component of
POI and all of the textmining.org library.

 I have seen several discussions and web pages that point to textmining.org
that say I simply wrap POI classes (For example, the JGuru GAQ
http://www.jguru.com ) This is totally false.

* The textmining.org library is optimized for extracting text. POI is not.
* The textmining.org libraries supports extracting text from Word 6/95. POI
does not.
* The textmining.org libraries do not extract deleted text that is still in
the document for the purposes of revision marking. POI does not handle this.

-Ryan Ackley