Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Daniel Watford <da...@foomoo.co.uk> on 2023/05/02 09:43:59 UTC

Re: [OFBIZ-12801] "Error at CommunicationEventServices.groovy:489"

Hi Nicholas,

I can see value in the approach I think you are proposing (please correct
me if I am wrong) which I would summarise as:
- All scripts are considered service implementations and will handle
parameters and return types accordingly, and
- GroovyEventHandler should invoke an event handler as if it was a service
implementation and convert the result (i.e. a Map<String, Object>) in a way
similar to that in the GroovyEventHandler code that you quoted.
GroovyEventHandler effectively becomes an adapter between service calling
conventions and event-handler calling conventions.

The problem I see with the above approach is that an event handler may need
to access the Request object, something that service implementations cannot
do. If we force all groovy event handlers to be implemented as service
implementations which are later 'adapted' to the event handler calling
conventions, then we are making it difficult for the developer to
understand what interface (calling conventions) they are working with.

Taking my previous suggestion further, we could implement logic around the
following test in GroovyEventHandler and GroovyEngine respectively:

script
.getClass().getDeclaredMethod(event.getInvoke()).getReturnType().isAssignableFrom(EventResponse.
class)

script
.getClass().getDeclaredMethod(modelService.getInvoke()).getReturnType().isAssignableFrom(ServiceResponse.
class)

If the methods to be called by GroovyEventHandler and GroovyEngine do not
declare the expected return type, then a warning can be logged.

For the simple 'adapter' cases, we could implement helper methods in
GroovyBaseScript to convert between EventResponse and ServiceResponse
objects, but for more complicated cases, the method author is free to
implement an adapter appropriate to their business rules.

A principle that drives the above, in my opinion at least, is that a method
author MUST know whether they are implementing a service or an event
handler since there may be differences in context that they depend on. By
incorporating the EventReponse and ServiceReponse types the author can make
it clear to the reader (and to OFBiz) which context the code was written
for.

Thanks,

Dan.

--
Daniel Watford

Re: [OFBIZ-12801] "Error at CommunicationEventServices.groovy:489"

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
+1

A much better explanation of my thoughts than I could have put into words.

Thanks,

Michael