Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com> on 2012/08/14 09:06:07 UTC

[INFO][WEBSITE]: improved usability with simplified Urls to reach some of our services

Hi,

with the solved jira issues INFRA-5041, INFRA-5042 we have now a nicer
and more intuitive way to reach some of our services.

wiki.openoffice.org (former wiki.services.openoffice.org)
forum.openoffice.org (former users.services.openoffice.org)

extensions.oepnoffice.org (former extensions.services.openoffice.org)
templates.openoffice.org (former templates.services.openoffice.org)

The old Urls are still working but we should replace the old Urls
wherever we see them with the new ones.

I will take care of the StartCenter Urls in the office!

A long existing and very annoying issue is now solved. Thanks Dave who
picked up my issue and drove it forward with the infra team. I very much
appreciate this help.

Juergen

Re: [INFO][WEBSITE]: improved usability with simplified Urls to reach some of our services

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 16/08/2012 Dave Fisher wrote:
> Yes.
>
>     # change users.services.openoffice.org/... to forum.openoffice.org/...
>     RewriteCond ${lowercase:%{HTTP_HOST}} ^users\.services\.openoffice\.org$
>     RewriteRule ^users\.services\.openoffice\.org/(.*) http://forum.openoffice.org/$1 [NE,L,R=permanent]

It is actually "user".services.ooo, not "users".services.ooo.

But the idea indeed looks good, so that we will enforce the "canonical"
new URL.

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: [INFO][WEBSITE]: improved usability with simplified Urls to reach some of our services

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Yes.

Posted by TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com>.
Uh, Dave,

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Aug 15, 2012, at 9:37 AM, drew jensen wrote:

> On Tue, 2012-08-14 at 17:08 -0700, Dave Fisher wrote:

>>> I would consider this to be normal behavior. Authentication is probably managed through a cookie that is sent back to the originating site (the originating subdomain) only. So user.services.openoffice.org has no way to know that you are logged in at forum.openoffice.org, unless we completely rewrite all URLs in the form user.services.openoffice.org/SOMETHING to forum.openoffice.org/SOMETHING .

>>> If we have hardcoded links that are not rewritten (i.e., if pages on forum.openoffice.org contain "internal" links that reference user.services.openoffice.org explicitly), then it would be better to use an "external" redirect as explained above.
>>
>> Currently both user.services.openoffice.org and forum.openoffice.org are directed to the same IP by DNS.
>>
>> Also wiki.services.openoffice.org and wiki.openoffice.org are directed to the same IP by DNS.
>>
>> What is different is that for the wiki the Apache Traffic Server is in front and it does do the necessary redirection to wiki.openoffice.org.
>>
>> Should we do something similar for the user forums?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dave
>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Andrea.
>>

> Hi,
>
> Just checked and the phpBB installation, for En at least but I'd assume
> same for all, list the base URL of the site as
> user.services.openoffice.org,  all generated links then use this.
>
> Isn't it proper now to use the forum.openoffice.org address?
>
> Don't suppose doing so would help alleviate the currently discussed
> problem though.

It would be proper in combination with a virtual host entry in the ooo-fourms' apache2.conf file for wiki.services.openoffice.org and then to redirect all of that traffic to wiki.openoffice.org permanently.

> However - it is also possible to configure phpBB such that the software
> determines, at runtime versus a hard coded setting, what the proper base
> domain name is - now that might be worth a test..

> @imacat - what do you think?

Yes, what do you think?

Regards,
Dave

Posted by drew <dr...@baseanswers.com>.
On Wed, 2012-08-15 at 18:59 +0200, RGB ES wrote:
> 2012/8/15 drew jensen <dr...@gmail.com>:

> >> Currently both user.services.openoffice.org and forum.openoffice.org are directed to the same IP by DNS.
> >>
> >> Also wiki.services.openoffice.org and wiki.openoffice.org are directed to the same IP by DNS.
> >>
> >> What is different is that for the wiki the Apache Traffic Server is in front and it does do the necessary redirection to wiki.openoffice.org.
> >>
> >> Should we do something similar for the user forums?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Dave

> > Hi,
> >
> > Just checked and the phpBB installation, for En at least but I'd assume
> > same for all, list the base URL of the site as
> > user.services.openoffice.org,  all generated links then use this.
> >
> > Isn't it proper now to use the forum.openoffice.org address?
> >
> > Don't suppose doing so would help alleviate the currently discussed
> > problem though.
> >
> > However - it is also possible to configure phpBB such that the software
> > determines, at runtime versus a hard coded setting, what the proper base
> > domain name is - now that might be worth a test..
> >
> > @imacat - what do you think?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > //drew
> >

> I'm not an expert, but the problem is that the [url=...]...[/url] tags
> only accept absolute paths. It is possible to define relative tags(1),
> I just did it for the ES forums and they work perfectly, but that will
> not help with the existing situation, only a proper redirect will
> help.
>
> (1) http://ittidbit.blogspot.it/2011/09/phpbb-relative-url-howto-bbcode.html
>
> Regards
> Ricardo

Howdy Ricardo,

OK - well I was thinking about the problem you where having staying
logged in (cookie problem likely) in my last post.

For the existing links in posts.. well, it is just a string in a
database record - one UPDATE script transforming user.service.o.o to
forums.o.o should do the trick, shouldn't it.

//drew

Re: [INFO][WEBSITE]: improved usability with simplified Urls to reach some of our services

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by drew jensen <dr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
2012/8/15 Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>:

> On Aug 14, 2012, at 4:41 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:

>> I would consider this to be normal behavior. Authentication is probably managed through a cookie that is sent back to the originating site (the originating subdomain) only. So user.services.openoffice.org has no way to know that you are logged in at forum.openoffice.org, unless we completely rewrite all URLs in the form user.services.openoffice.org/SOMETHING to forum.openoffice.org/SOMETHING .
>>
>>> Not only confusing, but also problematic: if you log-in on the new
>>> address and then click on an old link that cross reference to another
>>> post you'll arrive to a page on which you are not logged in any
>>> more!
>>
>> If we have hardcoded links that are not rewritten (i.e., if pages on forum.openoffice.org contain "internal" links that reference user.services.openoffice.org explicitly), then it would be better to use an "external" redirect as explained above.
>
> Currently both user.services.openoffice.org and forum.openoffice.org are directed to the same IP by DNS.
>
> Also wiki.services.openoffice.org and wiki.openoffice.org are directed to the same IP by DNS.
>
> What is different is that for the wiki the Apache Traffic Server is in front and it does do the necessary redirection to wiki.openoffice.org.
>
> Should we do something similar for the user forums?

The internal cross references to existing posts on the forums are in
the order of thousands,(1) so yes, we need some kind of redirection
redirection.

(1) It's a common practice to point to solved threads when the
question was already answered (which is also a really common
situation). If you add to this all the times we say (with links)
"please, read the survival guide", "see here to know how to attach a
file / mark a thread as solved / report an issue"... you get the
picture. PhpBB do not offer by default a way to use relative links: it
can be introduced, of course, but that will not solve the already
existing bulk of absolute links.

Regards
Ricardo

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.
2012/8/14 RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>:
> 2012/8/14 Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> with the solved jira issues INFRA-5041, INFRA-5042 we have now a nicer
>> and more intuitive way to reach some of our services.
>>
>> wiki.openoffice.org (former wiki.services.openoffice.org)
>> forum.openoffice.org (former users.services.openoffice.org)
>>
>> extensions.oepnoffice.org (former extensions.services.openoffice.org)
>> templates.openoffice.org (former templates.services.openoffice.org)
>>
>> The old Urls are still working but we should replace the old Urls
>> wherever we see them with the new ones.
>>
>> I will take care of the StartCenter Urls in the office!
>>
>> A long existing and very annoying issue is now solved. Thanks Dave who
>> picked up my issue and drove it forward with the infra team. I very much
>> appreciate this help.
>>
>> Juergen
>
> Good! But I'm finding a weird behaviour on the forums... If I enter on
> the old url
>
> http://user.services.openoffice.org/
>
> I'm NOT redirected. If I open bot, the new and the old address and
> log-in in the new, in the old one I'm still logged off (even if I can
> see my user name on the list of registered users...) And last, if I
> post something on the new address and refresh the old one I can see
> the new post, but I'm still non logged there.
>
> Quite confusing...
>
> Regards
> Ricardo

Not only confusing, but also problematic: if you log-in on the new
address and then click on an old link that cross reference to another
post you'll arrive to a page on which you are not logged in any
more!!!

Without a proper redirect, these addresses will be a headache...

Ricardo

Re: [INFO][WEBSITE]: improved usability with simplified Urls to reach some of our services

Posted by RGB ES <rg...@gmail.com>.