Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com> on 1997/09/09 21:45:38 UTC

Re: Apache on Rhapsody

On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Wilfredo Sanchez wrote:

> I'm working on getting Apache to run on Rhapsody (Apple's new OS). I have
> patches to 1.2.1 which allows it to build without errors, but when I run
> the program it exits (status 0) right away with no messages in the logs
> about why.
>
> So, I'm wondering if:
>
>  - That's a common problem you can tell me I'm missing something.
>    (unlikely, since I don't have much info to offer)

Nope, not overly common that I can think of.  Well, assuming you know,
of course, that it is supposed to become a daemon and detach from your
tty, but just keep running in the background.

Best bet is run it through a debugger, use something like
ktrace/strace/trace/truss if you have it or add debugging codes to see
where it dies.

Do you get a "Server configured -- resuming normal operations" log in the
error log?

>  - I don't suppose sending patches would help without the OS. So

In the past, patches for different platforms have been integrated into the
source without anyone in the Apache group being able to verify that they
work right, but things like support are much easier if we have someone
with access to the platform.

>    I could try to get a copy of the developer release of Rhapsody,
>    along with my patches to Apache to someone in the Apache Group who
>    is interested in helping with porting. The developer release is due
>    Real Soon Now.

That wouldn't be a bad idea.  It will run on x86 hardware, right?