Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Chris A <vt...@icqmail.com> on 2002/07/10 15:31:06 UTC

automate JDBC realm login

Hello all,
  Anyone know how to automate a JDBC realm login, so the user will not have to login when visiting a secure page during a different session ?  This would be similar to a "remember me" checkbox on the login page.

  I have tried to use a bean and servlet to set the j_username and j_password and "fake" an HTTP/POST , but nothing I have tried seems to work.  Anyone done this before or know if this is possible using a realm setup ?

Thanks for your help,

Chris A.
Austin, TX

Re: automate JDBC realm login

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On 10 Jul 2002, Chris A wrote:

> Date: 10 Jul 2002 06:31:06 -0700
> From: Chris A <vt...@icqmail.com>
> To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: automate JDBC realm login
>
> Hello all,
>
>   Anyone know how to automate a JDBC realm login, so the user will not
> have to login when visiting a secure page during a different session ?
> This would be similar to a "remember me" checkbox on the login page.

There is no standard functionality in Tomcat to do this.  It would be
feasible to customize one of the existing Authenticator implementations to
look for a remember-me cookie and bypass the challenge for
username/password if it can find the corresponding user.

>   I have tried to use a bean and servlet to set the j_username and
> j_password and "fake" an HTTP/POST , but nothing I have tried seems to
> work.  Anyone done this before or know if this is possible using a realm
> setup ?

There's nothing you will be able to do at the application level to
accomplish this (and that's a good thing, because otherwise malicious apps
could bypass the container's security :-).  You will need to do this at
the inside-Tomcat level instead.

> Thanks for your help,
>
> Chris A.
> Austin, TX