Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Garren Smith <ga...@apache.org> on 2020/05/13 09:29:28 UTC

Should we continue with FDB RFC's

Hi All,

The majority of RFC's for CouchDB 4.x have gone stale and I want to know
what everyone thinks we should do about it? Do you find the RFC's useful?

So far I've found maintaining the RFC's really difficult. Often we write an
RFC, then write the code. The code often ends up quite different from how
we thought it would when writing the RFC. Following that smaller code
changes and improvements to a section moves the codebase even further from
the RFC design. Do we keep updating the RFC for every change or should we
leave it at a certain point?

I've found the discussion emails to be really useful way to explore the
high-level design of each new feature. I would probably prefer that we
continue the discussion emails but don't do the RFC unless its a feature
that a lot of people want to be involved in the design.

Cheers
Garren

Re: Should we continue with FDB RFC's

Posted by Joan Touzet <wo...@apache.org>.
Technically, the code still isn't on master yet.

:D

-Joan "can we please merge to master already" Touzet

Posted by Paul Davis <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Garren Smith <ga...@apache.org>.

Posted by Adam Kocoloski <ko...@apache.org>.