Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> on 2013/08/27 17:54:20 UTC

Re: Transaction log "on-disk" guarantees

Here's a blog I wrote up a bit ago:
http://searchhub.org/2013/08/23/understanding-transaction-logs-softcommit-and-commit-in-sorlcloud/

Hmmm, unfortunately it doesn't say anything about how to set the fsync
option, but do you really care? Soft commits flush to the op system, so
a JVM crash/termination shouldn't affect it anyway. Turning on the fsync
would just be a little bit of extra protection....

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
And here I was just about to give Mark credit for updating the wiki!

-- Jack Krupansky

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jack Krupansky <ja...@basetechnology.com>.
You missed the wiki update that went by a short while ago:

      <updateLog>

        <str name="dir">${solr.data.dir:}</str>
+       <!-- if you want to take control of the synchronization you may
specify the syncLevel as one of the
+            following where ''flush'' is the default. fsync will reduce
throughput.
+       <str name="syncLevel">flush|fsync|none</str>

      </updateLog>

-- Jack Krupansky