Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Lars Ippich <la...@speicherplatz4you.de> on 2007/10/11 08:04:18 UTC

8bit encoding in mail header by SpamAssassin

Hello list,

I actually have problems with mails coming from a server where they
already have been checked by SpamAssassin and have been added headers.
Amavisd, which I am running on my server, rejects these messages because
they are not obeying RFC 2822, which forbids 8bit encoding in mails:

Oct 10 09:17:05 www amavis[2981]: (02981-06) BAD HEADER from
<ma...@host>: Non-encoded 8-bit data (char FC hex) in message header
'X-Spam-Report'\n  X-Spam-Report: ...       Nachricht wurde nur \\374ber
vertrauensw...\n                                               ^

So what can the sender's mailserver's administrator do to make
SpamAssassin adding reports 7bit encoded?

Thank you for reading this.
Lars Ippich

Re: 8bit encoding in mail header by SpamAssassin

Posted by Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org>.
Lars Ippich wrote:

> I actually have problems with mails coming from a server where they
> already have been checked by SpamAssassin and have been added headers.
> Amavisd, which I am running on my server, rejects these messages
> because they are not obeying RFC 2822, which forbids 8bit encoding in
> mails:
>
> Oct 10 09:17:05 www amavis[2981]: (02981-06) BAD HEADER from
> <ma...@host>: Non-encoded 8-bit data (char FC hex) in message header
> 'X-Spam-Report'\n  X-Spam-Report: ...       Nachricht wurde nur
> \\374ber
> vertrauensw...\n                                               ^
>
> So what can the sender's mailserver's administrator do to make
> SpamAssassin adding reports 7bit encoded?

Interesting problem.  My first thought was RFC2046, but that won't work
as nobody decodes the spamassassin headers, so they need to readable
without decoding.

I think the answer is for spamassassin to avoid using 8bit chars when
adding email headers.  Otherwise you could perhaps adjust your amavis
settings and allow 8-bit chars in the header?

/Per Jessen, Zürich