Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Robert Naczinski <ro...@googlemail.com> on 2011/05/06 09:01:45 UTC

Use Solr / Lucene to search in a Logfile

Hello,

we want to search large log4j logfiles withSolr / Lucene and find any
lines with a special argument. ( for examle: with a defined userid )
It should be a solr indput document for each row in the file. The log
file is growing continuously and the search index must be refreshed.

Has already anybidy implemented something like this and can give me a tip ?

Greetings,

Robert

Re: Use Solr / Lucene to search in a Logfile

Posted by Matthieu Huin <ma...@wallix.com>.
Hello Robert,

At my company, we are working on a generic log collector that uses Solr
to provide search capabilities.
What the collector does basically is this (this is greatly dumbed down !) :

* collect a log line (read it from a file, receive it from the network,
... )
* parse it through a set of regular expressions, searching for known log
formats ( apache CLF, ... )
* if there is a match, store the results as a set of keys/values ( url :
http://www.apache.org , source : XXX , raw_log : xxxxxx , ... )
* insert the set as a document in the Solr backend, using the REST
interface.

Therefore I would advise you to adapt this workflow to suit your own
needs : have a script looking for new lines in your log file, parse them
in order to extract the relevant information you need, store the results
as keys/values sets, then insert them into Solr via a http call.

My company's product is probably overkill for what you need to do, and
we'd probably need to develop a specific log parser for your log format,
but if you are willing to give it a try feel free to contact me !

Greetings,

Matthieu HUIN

Posted by Robert Naczinski <ro...@googlemail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Robert,

Have you considered just using Loggly.com ?

Otis
----