Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by David Ingham <Da...@microsoft.com> on 2009/10/14 06:23:17 UTC

Qpid at Microsoft PDC

Hi all,

I just wanted to let you know that we're planning on showcasing Qpid at the upcoming Microsoft PDC (Professional Developers Conference) [1]. We're planning a session focused on queuing and pub/sub in a heterogeneous environment. This will cover existing bridging solutions as a way to connect different islands of message-oriented middleware and then talk about the value of AMQP as an interoperable wire-level protocol. We aim to include an AMQP/Qpid demo that connects Java/JMS, WCF, and Excel clients.

I think this is a great opportunity for us to introduce Qpid to the Microsoft developer community. During the talk we'll direct the interested members of the audience to qpid.apache.org to download the bits. It would be great if we had the 0.6 release ready and waiting for them when we announce this. The conference runs November 17-19.  Do you think we'll be ready to hit this date?

Thanks,

Dave.

[1] http://microsoftpdc.com/

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Qpid at Microsoft PDC

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Dave,

This is terrific news - thanks for letting us know !

>From a Java perspective we can definitely be ready, unless Rajith or Rafi
plan to land anything substantial between now and then ?

Andrew - can you pull together the release/have time to get it speeding
along for these timelines ?

Martin is right that it is usually a far slower process than it might be
because of competing tasks for the rel manager so Andrew's availability is
pretty key. Anyone else got time to help out here ?

I'll ask around, but afaik internal commitments are keeping my area of desks
pretty busy.

Thanks & Regards,
Marnie

Re: Qpid at Microsoft PDC

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 9:04 AM, Marnie McCormack
<ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I echo Robert comments, this seems a very compelling deadline for release.
>
> It boils down to whether we have people able to make it happen just now ?

Oh, I totally agree that it's a good opportunity to promote the
project, I just don't think we want to do so with a split release,
given that a) it's historically quite a touchy subject and b) there
doesn't seem to be any need for it at this point. :)

- Aidan

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Qpid at Microsoft PDC

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Qpid at Microsoft PDC

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Qpid at Microsoft PDC

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 8:51 PM, Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do we have a clearly defined scope for the release? Are all the things
> in scope for the release in Jira? I think it would be good be able to
> give Dave some more scientific analysis on the likelihood of hitting
> the date.

Optimist!

> Is the Java client changing for this release? I think the PDC is a

Yeah, I've been doing some work on the network / protocol abstraction,
which I'll land shortly. I'm also going to enable 0-9-1 support, that
should be pretty trivial though.

Re: Qpid at Microsoft PDC

Posted by Robert Greig <ro...@gmail.com>.

Re: Qpid at Microsoft PDC

Posted by Martin Ritchie <ri...@apache.org>.
2009/10/14 David Ingham <Da...@microsoft.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> I just wanted to let you know that we're planning on showcasing Qpid at the upcoming Microsoft PDC (Professional Developers Conference) [1]. We're planning a session focused on queuing and pub/sub in a heterogeneous environment. This will cover existing bridging solutions as a way to connect different islands of message-oriented middleware and then talk about the value of AMQP as an interoperable wire-level protocol. We aim to include an AMQP/Qpid demo that connects Java/JMS, WCF, and Excel clients.
>
> I think this is a great opportunity for us to introduce Qpid to the Microsoft developer community. During the talk we'll direct the interested members of the audience to qpid.apache.org to download the bits. It would be great if we had the 0.6 release ready and waiting for them when we announce this. The conference runs November 17-19.  Do you think we'll be ready to hit this date?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave.
>
> [1] http://microsoftpdc.com/

Hi Dave,

I'd like to think we could pull together to get the release done for
then but historically we are not very good at getting the releases
out.
The 0.5 Release schedule was :
End of Development : 2009-03-02
End of Feature Freeze : 2009-03-16
Release : 2009-03-27
from: http://markmail.org/message/ac74jgyrymuazyth?q=Release+Schedule+qpid-dev+list:org%2Eapache%2Eincubator%2Eqpid-dev&page=1

Which gave us two weeks of bug fix testing then two weeks for voting.
We did follow those dates but there were some  last minute changes on
the Java side that caused us to slip, to May 28th for the release
announcement.

Four weeks is tight for a release based no previous releases but the
first step if we want to target November 17th then we need to get a
release schedule together asap so we can get agreement from the
community.

Martin
--
Martin Ritchie

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Qpid at Microsoft PDC

Posted by Marnie McCormack <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Hi Dave,

What a pity - really disappointed we couldn't get our ducks in a line for
this.

Are there any similar upcoming calendar events we should know about - in
terms of a release ?

Question to everyone I think ...

I'd like to deliver a presentation to the Scottish Developer Forum, after
0.6 is out.

Thanks & Regards,
Marnie

RE: Qpid at Microsoft PDC