Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mike Schleif <md...@helices.org> on 2010/08/28 21:28:21 UTC

[users@httpd] Intermittent crashing web server service

  I've a client running Apache on a MSWindows server with an
intermittent crashing web server service.

[1] Names & Versions:

OS Name    Microsoft® Windows® Web Server 2008
Version    6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002

C:\oracle\ora81\Apache\Apache\Apache.exe -v
Server version: Apache/1.3.12 (Win32)
Server built:   Nov  8 2000 20:08:38

Service: OracleOraHome81HTTPServer

[2] SSL / https

[3] Apparently, the service crashes when accessed by Firefox browsers,
not Internet Explorer.

[4] Following error_log message correlates with crashed service; but,
service does NOT always crash when this error occurs:

[crit] (10038)An operation was attempted on something that is not a
socket: Parent: WSADuplicateSocket failed for socket 284.

It is always: "10038" ; always "WSADuplicateSocket" ; always "socket 284"

What else do you need to identify the root cause?

How can we correct this problem and prevent this problem from recurring?

I appreciate all assistance in resolving this issue.

If ever I can be of service to you; contact me at once.

I wish for you a truly extraordinary day ...

--
Best Regards,

Mike Schleif
612-235-6060
http://mdsresource.net
http://www.linkedin.com/in/schleif
http://facebook.com/MDSResource
http://twitter.com/mikeschleif

Re: [users@httpd] Intermittent crashing web server service

Posted by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Mike Schleif <md...@helices.org> wrote:
> I'd settle for any ideas from the Apache community.  How would you
> troubleshoot this as a web server issues?
>
> What is Apache error # 10038?

That isn't an Apache error code, it is a windows error code (did you
try googling for it?) that is raised when an application tries to do
socket operations on something that isn't a socket.

> Where are Apache configurations for sockets?

In 1.3, there are none.

> How could a Firefox browser session introduce a socket to a session that is
> NOT introduced in an IE session?

Application bug?

> Thank you, for your consideration.  I'm simply trying to troubleshoot this
> as far as I can.
>
> Also, I initially prepared this client for a scenario that we may need to
> REJECT Firefox browsers at session initialization.  What may be the
> simplest, most effective way to accomplish this?

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} Firefox
RewriteRule ^ - [F]

Cheers

Tom

Re: [users@httpd] Intermittent crashing web server service

Posted by Mike Schleif <md...@helices.org>.
On 9/2/2010 7:51 AM, Javier Arancibia wrote:
 > you have oracle. Open a metalink ticket,
 >
 > Javier
 > Mike Schleif
 > <md...@helices.org>
 > Para
 > 30/08/2010 15:33          users@httpd.apache.org
 > cc
 >
 > Por favor, Asunto responda a
 > Re: [users@httpd] Intermittent crashing web server service
 >
 > On 8/28/2010 10:39 PM, Frank Gingras wrote:
 >   >  On 08/28/2010 03:28 PM, Mike Schleif wrote:
 >   >>  I've a client running Apache on a MSWindows server with an
 >   >>  intermittent crashing web server service.
 >   >>
 >   >>  [1] Names&  Versions:
 >   >>
 >   >>  OS Name Microsoft® Windows® Web Server 2008
 >   >>  Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
 >   >>
 >   >>  C:\oracle\ora81\Apache\Apache\Apache.exe -v
 >   >>  Server version: Apache/1.3.12 (Win32)
 >   >>  Server built: Nov 8 2000 20:08:38
 >   >>
 >   >>  Service: OracleOraHome81HTTPServer
 >   >>
 >   >>  [2] SSL / https
 >   >>
 >   >>  [3] Apparently, the service crashes when accessed by Firefox
browsers,
 >   >>  not Internet Explorer.
 >   >>
 >   >>  [4] Following error_log message correlates with crashed
service; but,
 >   >>  service does NOT always crash when this error occurs:
 >   >>
 >   >>  [crit] (10038)An operation was attempted on something that is not a
 >   >>  socket: Parent: WSADuplicateSocket failed for socket 284.
 >   >>
 >   >>  It is always: "10038" ; always "WSADuplicateSocket" ; always
"socket
 > 284"
 >   >>
 >   >>  What else do you need to identify the root cause?
 >   >>
 >   >>  How can we correct this problem and prevent this problem from
 > recurring?
 >   >>
 >   >>  I appreciate all assistance in resolving this issue.
 >
 >   >  Mike,
 >   >
 >   >  Are you really still running 1.3.12?
 >   >
 >   >  Frank
 >
 > Yes.  I've googled the error, and others have experienced it on v2.x
 > apache - so, something with this problem is apache version agnostic.
 >
 > My client fears tampering with version dependencies.  Notice that their
 > application is on Oracle v8.1x.  Nothing about this problem is vendor
 > supported, which is why I'm consulting on this.
 >
 > If they're right, and this problem only occurs with Firefox, there
 > should be several less invasive solutions.
 >
 > Please, advise.

Of course, you noticed that this is running Oracle v8.1x ...

Posted by Javier Arancibia <ja...@nacion-seguros.com.ar>.
you have oracle. Open a metalink ticket,

Javier

             Mike Schleif
             <md...@helices.org>
                                                                      Para
             30/08/2010 15:33          users@httpd.apache.org
                                                                        cc

                Por favor,                                          Asunto
                responda a             Re: [users@httpd] Intermittent
             users@httpd.apach         crashing web server service
                   e.org

Posted by Mike Schleif <md...@helices.org>.

Posted by Frank Gingras <fr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joost de Heer <jo...@sanguis.xs4all.nl>.
> C:\oracle\ora81\Apache\Apache\Apache.exe -v
> Server version: Apache/1.3.12 (Win32)
> Server built:   Nov  8 2000 20:08:38
>
> Service: OracleOraHome81HTTPServer

Oracle uses Apache as a base, but does its own things with the server. The
only people who can help you are Oracle tech, because the Apache people
don't know what Oracle changed in their software.

Their answer will probably be 'Oracle 8 wasn't meant to run on Windows
2008. Upgrade to a recent version'.

Joost

Re: [users@httpd] Intermittent crashing web server service

Posted by Hendrik Schmieder <he...@jedox.com>.
Tom Evans schrieb:

> 2) That Apache 1.3 runs on windows at all is a minor miracle, it was
> not designed to. You really should not be using 1.3 on windows

Just for the record:

At least the lattter version of Apache 1.3 run well on Windows 2000 and
Windows XP.

Newer testet it with Windows 7.

   Hendrik

Re: [users@httpd] Intermittent crashing web server service

Posted by Tom Evans <te...@googlemail.com>.
On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 8:28 PM, Mike Schleif <md...@helices.org> wrote:
> I've a client running Apache on a MSWindows server with an intermittent
> crashing web server service.
>
> [1] Names & Versions:
>
> OS Name    Microsoft® Windows® Web Server 2008
> Version    6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
>
> C:\oracle\ora81\Apache\Apache\Apache.exe -v
> Server version: Apache/1.3.12 (Win32)
> Server built:   Nov  8 2000 20:08:38
>
> Service: OracleOraHome81HTTPServer

Seriously?

1) If you must run Apache 1.3, you should at least be running the
latest release. 1.3.12 has more holes than Emmental.
2) That Apache 1.3 runs on windows at all is a minor miracle, it was
not designed to. You really should not be using 1.3 on windows (you
really should not be using 1.3 at all tbh!)
3) There's virtually nothing anyone on this list can do to help you
resolve this problem. If it is a bug in Apache 1.3.12, there won't be
a fix for that version. If it isn't, it is probably in your
application. The only way to test that is to upgrade Apache -
preferably to 2.2 - and see if that solves the issues.

Cheers

Tom