Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Evert Lammerts <ev...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/01 09:38:37 UTC

Re: svn checkout crush on mapped samba share from windows client

I need a solution for this desperately!

My configuration is similar to Alexxoid's, with the difference that I'm
working from a Linux machine. I have a mounted a Samba share on which my
workspace is located.

A little sidestep the prevent unnecessary discussion - the codebase I'm
working on is proprietary, and I am not allowed to have a local working
copy on my laptop, on which I'm working, so a local copy is not an option.

The problem seems to be about permissions. When I checkout my branch to
my workspace, it creates the .svn folder and its files with the right
permissions (and owner), but after that i get a very consistent:

checkout -r HEAD http://office/svn/PROJECT/branches/MYBRANCH
    svn: Cannot rename file '/mnt/SAMBA_SHARE/..../PROJECT/.svn/tmp/entries'

I've tried using an SSH mount instead, which also caused problems (of a
different type).

Any ideas on what to do??

Thanks, Evert

Re: svn checkout crush on mapped samba share from windows client

Posted by Evert Lammerts <ev...@gmail.com>.
John Peacock wrote:
> Evert Lammerts wrote:
>> The problem seems to be about permissions. When I checkout my branch
>> to my workspace, it creates the .svn folder and its files with the
>> right permissions (and owner), but after that i get a very consistent:
>
> This isn't a Subversion problem; it is a Samba problem.

You're right, I found that out too (see below).

> Of course, you could also use an X-Windows client (cygwin?) to
> remotely connect to the server and do all of the file manipulations
> "locally to the server", but you'd have to leave your Windows editor
> behind.  At that point, you might as well reformat your laptop and
> switch to Linux... ;-)

I'm running Ubuntu and have the samba share mounted with smbmount - this
must be causing the problem: I'm not able to overwrite .svn/entries with
.svn/tmp/entries by hand either. So in the meanwhile I tried the
opposite of your advise and mounted the share from Windows... Guess
what, svn worked without any problems.

Damn it.

I want to do my development from Ubuntu, but this permissions thing is
messing me up. I've tried half a day but just can't see the light.

Anyway, thanks a bunch for trying to help. I'm going to stroll along a
couple more mailing lists for a little while to try and solve this
before the weekend.

Evert

Re: svn checkout crush on mapped samba share from windows client

Posted by John Peacock <jo...@havurah-software.org>.
Evert Lammerts wrote:
> The problem seems to be about permissions. When I checkout my branch to
> my workspace, it creates the .svn folder and its files with the right
> permissions (and owner), but after that i get a very consistent:

This isn't a Subversion problem; it is a Samba problem.  The strong
recommendation has always been to stay away from network-mounted working
copies, precisely because there are frequent problems due to the
underlying filesystem that aren't within Subversion's control.  You may
have better luck with NFS (for no other reason than it has been around a
lot longer and the various implementations have dealt with these
problems longer).

Here's a possible workaround, since you apparently have SSH access to
the server.  SSH to the server and check out the files into the same
filesystem that is exported using Samba (i.e. a local to the server
checkout).  Edit the files from your Windows laptop over the Samba link,
but use ssh to the server to perform any commits/updates.  Depending on
your creativity, you could even write a series of wrapper scripts that
use ssh to perform all of the repository manipulation from the comfort
of your Windows laptop.

Of course, you could also use an X-Windows client (cygwin?) to remotely
connect to the server and do all of the file manipulations "locally to
the server", but you'd have to leave your Windows editor behind.  At
that point, you might as well reformat your laptop and switch to
Linux... ;-)

HTH

John