Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by "Ramaiah, Rajaram A K" <ra...@hp.com> on 2007/08/13 12:55:15 UTC

Selective Session Timout Functionality

Hello,

Our Jetspeed 2.1.2 based portal application requires the following
functionality:

We have a page (URL) that gets refreshed periodically based on a timer
set in the javascript. Now, we don't want this activity (GET URL) to be
considered as a session activity which means that the session timeout
value should NOT be reset. The user should be logged out if he/she does
not perform any operation on the portal application for more than the
configured session timeout value, even though the page gets refreshed
periodically.

Appreciate any help to implement this functionality.

Regards,
Rajaram

RE: Selective Session Timout Functionality

Posted by "Ramaiah, Rajaram A K" <ra...@hp.com>.
Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

Sure, I'll raise this question at the Tomcat list. Regarding another
feature (hard timeout), I'm already planning to use it as a workaround
as it solves the problem of indefinitely live session due to the refresh
activity. It's possible that a user logs in and clicks on the page which
refreshes perdiocally and forgets to logout. In this case, hard timeout
should help to some extent.

Regards,
Rajaram

On Aug 13, 2007, at 3:55 AM, Ramaiah, Rajaram A K wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Our Jetspeed 2.1.2 based portal application requires the following
> functionality:
>
> We have a page (URL) that gets refreshed periodically based on a timer

> set in the javascript. Now, we don't want this activity (GET URL) to
> be considered as a session activity which means that the session
> timeout value should NOT be reset. The user should be logged out if
> he/she does not perform any operation on the portal application for
> more than the configured session timeout value, even though the page
> gets refreshed periodically.
>
> Appreciate any help to implement this functionality.

Jetspeed's session timeout is based on the servlet container's session
timeout configuration Every time you make a request to the context, the
session inactivity timer is reset by the servlet container, not Jetspeed
I don't know of anyway to tell the servlet container to differentiate
between a javascript request and user interaction, but this does seem
like a very useful case Perhaps its a question you can ask on the Tomcat
list There is another feature in Jetspeed that will logout a user after
a configured number of seconds, regardless of their activity, but this
is not exactly what you require either

Re: Selective Session Timout Functionality

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.