Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Suneel Marthi <su...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/29 20:25:22 UTC

Lanczos Deprecation - No ??

I was under the impression that Lanczos had been long deprecated in Mahout
now for a few years and the reason we still have it was only because it was
being used by Spectral KMeans clustering.

See
http://grepcode.com/file/repo1.maven.org/maven2/org.apache.mahout/mahout-math/0.9/org/apache/mahout/math/decomposer/lanczos/LanczosSolver.java

Its still not deprecated as of 0.9, even thou the Release notes for 0.8
mention call out that it will be deprecated in a future release.  As one
who's finalized the release notes for both 0.8 and 0.9 releases, I
apologize for this slip up.

While the community internally understands that Lanczos has been long
deprecated, but without explicitly marking the code as "deprecated" and
updating the project wiki documentation to reflect the same it wouldn't be
apparent to a user of the project and its possible that its referenced in
talks for comparison with SSVD or other similar methods.

Apologies to all of those who have been using/referencing Lanczos in their
work or talks.

For the upcoming release:

1.  Refactor Spectral KMeans to use SSVD (Shannon, this is now a high
priority)
2.  Deprecate Lanczos, I prefer completely purging it from the codebase.
3.  Ensure the Release notes and Wiki documentation reflect that very
clearly.

Thanks.

Re: Lanczos Deprecation - No ??

Posted by Andrew Palumbo <ap...@outlook.com>.
On 03/29/2015 03:07 PM, Andrew Palumbo wrote:
> done.
(on the wiki)

Re: Lanczos Deprecation - No ??

Posted by Andrew Palumbo <ap...@outlook.com>.